Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-19-2020, 09:56 PM
Supporting Member

Default 22 wmr

Had a 77/22 WMR but it must not have been accurate or it would still live here.
So two questions.

1) Has anyone had an accurate 22.WMR costing less or around $5-600?

2) Are the rifles very sensitive to which ammo they are fed?

3) (I cheated) Are 17 rf more accurate than 22 mags?
Old 08-19-2020, 10:27 PM

Only played with the 22WMR with a single action Ruger and a barrel on a TC, both fairly accurate, but when I went to using the 17 HMR, those went and now all I shoot in the rimfire is the 17, more accurate and range is better, as least that is my opinion. My 17 HMR is the CZ model, with a bull barrel.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:06 AM

I have a CZ452 in 22WMR. Yes, it is ammo sensitive and I did extensive ammo tests. It likes the 34gr Winchester Supremes (black box) or the 33gr Remington Premieres best, both are plastic tipped bullets. With those two, it shoots just under 3/4" for 5 shots at 100 yds. Didn't like any weight CCI. I found that measuring the base to ogive on any of the ammo using a Sinclair 'nut' and found it liked the long ammo best.

The 22WMR is old, and there are many different reamers/chambers, and I think that is one reason that many aren't that accurate. The 17HMR is much newer, and the chambers are more uniform, use more modern CNC machinery, which I feel makes it them more accurate in general.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:25 AM

I have an 1885 Low Wall in 22 WMR that is very accurate with the Remington 33 GR Premier ammo. I have a CZ 452FS in 22 WMR that likes CCI TMJs, shoots well enough for sage rats with the CCI 40 GR HPs. Both rifles cost more than $600, but worth it to me. My Savage Striker in 22 WMR is pretty accurate with anything.
Bill

Last edited by Flynmoose; 08-20-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Brain Fade
Old 08-20-2020, 07:51 AM
Supporting Member

The Ruger 77 in all calibres from 22Rf to 22 Hornet is not know for great accuracy without a lot of fiddling, bolt shiming etc. It to me is probably one of the poorest choices for a bolt action. In addition to CZ, Savage makes a very accurate gun in that cartridge. They also make a left hand version. 22 Mag accuracy is all about the ammo, just like most rimfire rifles. There are better shooting rounds available now that are loaded to tighter tolerances. All in, I prefer the 22 Hornet to the 22 mag, but either is far superior to the 17 HMR for shooting Beaver., raccoon and the like. The heavier bullets just do a better job on large bodied game.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The Ruger 77 in all calibres from 22Rf to 22 Hornet is not know for great accuracy without a lot of fiddling, bolt shiming etc. It to me is probably one of the poorest choices for a bolt action. In addition to CZ, Savage makes a very accurate gun in that cartridge. They also make a left hand version. 22 Mag accuracy is all about the ammo, just like most rimfire rifles. There are better shooting rounds available now that are loaded to tighter tolerances. All in, I prefer the 22 Hornet to the 22 mag, but either is far superior to the 17 HMR for shooting Beaver., raccoon and the like. The heavier bullets just do a better job on large bodied game.
Amen to the inaccuracy of the Ruger 77 I Rimfire and Hornet. Had several and all were poor accuracy, even after lots of trigger work, bolt shimming, etc. they just are not accurate, at all.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I have a CZ452 in 22WMR. Yes, it is ammo sensitive and I did extensive ammo tests. It likes the 34gr Winchester Supremes (black box) or the 33gr Remington Premieres best, both are plastic tipped bullets. With those two, it shoots just under 3/4" for 5 shots at 100 yds. Didn't like any weight CCI. I found that measuring the base to ogive on any of the ammo using a Sinclair 'nut' and found it liked the long ammo best.

The 22WMR is old, and there are many different reamers/chambers, and I think that is one reason that many aren't that accurate. The 17HMR is much newer, and the chambers are more uniform, use more modern CNC machinery, which I feel makes it them more accurate in general.
Yep.... That pretty well sums up my experience as well, but I'd add the old 22 WMR Federal Premium load with the Sierra 30 gr. HP to the list of good shooting ammo.
I know of people that have run a 22 WMR reamer with a small pilot into 22RF barrels and ended up with a nice shooting rifle. Could be the tight bore, better fitting chamber, or perhaps the throat dimensions.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:42 PM

The Ruger American I have loves the Hornady 30gr. The Sako Quad I have is outstanding with several 22mag. loads. One being my favorite, the old Win. 40gr.hp.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:51 PM

Bought an inexpensive Ruger American Rimfire for $180 at Cabelas prior to the closing of the Bass Pro acquisition. Was pleasantly surprised to get five shot moa or better accuracy at 60 yards with the Remington Premium 33 gr. load, the Hornady 30 gr. V-Max load, and the long discontinued Federal Premium 30 gr. Sierra load. Only change was to free float the barrel where the injection molded stock was touching and to replace the trigger return spring to reduce the trigger pull to 1.5 lbs. The Ruger barrel is a 1 in 14" twist.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:58 PM
Supporting Member

I currently own more than just one 22 WMR/22 Hornet rifle....

One is a cheapy bolt action Ruger American 22 WMR that shoots great but has the sex appeal of a cleaning lady working at a laundramat. One of my grandsons likes it's small size so its a keeper. One is a CZ 512 that can make a box of 50 rounds of 22 WMR ammo of any kind disappear in a few minutes with excellent accuracy, and another is an equally voracious semi-auto Magnum Research Lite which can only digest 40 grain+ ammo per the owner instructions, but it also shoots extremely well with that type of ammo. They all shoot on par with a CZ Model 455 in 22 WMR with a machined custom floor plate/trigger guard that got rid of the gate hinge trigger guard that it came with.

Oh.....and I'm almost ashamed to say it here, but I own two Ruger 77 22 Hornet rifles, both of which shot/shoot extremely well (read as they are both very accurate) just as they came from the box. One I shot for a year or so and then had it punched out to a K-Hornet and it still shoots extremely well in that guise also. The other one is a box stock original 22 Hornet. They are both walnut/blue sporter weight rifles and they also shoot on par with the above mentioned CZ Model 455 in 22 WMR as well as with a fairly new to me Browning A-Bolt 22 Hornet rifle that shoots great and is a joy to look at as well. Its my second Browning Hornet as I let one get a way a few years back. I also own a CZ Model 527 in 22 Hornet that is a great shooter.

On a non-22 WMR/Hornet slant, I also own two Ruger 77's chambered in 17 WSM (one sporter weight walnut stocked stainless and the other a laminate stocked stainless 18" HB) as well as a stainless Ruger 77 in 17 HMR. They too are all accurate rifles. Go figure..... In the small caliber CF world of Ruger 77's, I also own a Ruger 77 in 17 Hornet that shoots just as well as its counterpart in a CZ Model 527 rifle. Both of them are routinely better than minute of PD at 200+ yards....

My only problem in life is that each time I buy an obviously inaccurate Ruger 77, I forget to buy an accompanying Lotto ticket. I need to work on that the next time... Maybe I'll die as a rich man with a few very serviceable and accurate Ruger 77 RF and CF rifles that no one will want because everyone knows that they are all inaccurate rifles......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-21-2020 at 09:56 PM. Reason: whoops....got 2 cartridges ran together without explanation.....