Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2020, 08:09 PM

Default 223 ai

Thinking of getting a 223 ackley improved made.
If I take a stock REM 700, does it need any modification, other than proper AI chambering?
Specifically wondering about feeding from the magazine.
Thanks
Old 11-03-2020, 10:22 PM

Should feed just fine, I know mine does. Some have had some issues, when they are fed from a magazine, but the box magazines seem to work just fine.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:06 PM
Supporting Member

It's probably a 50-50 proposition as to whether your Rem 700 action will smoothly feed the AI cartridge from the internal magazine.

That said, I would first very lightly buff the feed rails on the action with good quality fine sand paper so that the rails are smooth and have no sharp edges, tooling marks, etc. that can mark a piece of brass as it cycles from the magazine to the chamber. Some times that is all that is needed.

Other times it might be necessary to actually open up (remove some metal from) the feed rails. With patience it can be done, but if you are concerned about doing it yourself, a good gun smith can do it relatively easily and cheaply.

If you do it yourself, go slowly with a very fine toothed file that will remove just a bit of metal each pass, and check your work often as you go - removing just a very small amount of metal at a time - so that you don't remove too much material to the point where cartridges will jump prematurely from the magazine. Keep in mind that you want to leave enough metal at the end so that the rails can be polished and smoothed as the final effort. In total, you will likely remove very little metal in total, and its kind of a balancing act to get it right

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-04-2020, 03:15 PM

Default 223ai

Thanks guys!
Old 11-04-2020, 05:07 PM

BCB and all, good advice from BCB. I have had to deburr to burr several CZ mags, and a very fine riffler file and a small hard Arkansas stone does it slowly and well.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:35 AM

Never punched a 700, but my Mod 70 and CZ 527 feed fine with no alterations.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:00 PM

While on the subject, I have heard from smiths that it has to be done some say no, So to all you in the know who have done such a rechamber, I have a 12 year old Rem 700 with a incredibly tight chamber very low round count, Does the barrel have to be cut back, Or does the AI ream clean up the chamber well enough? I know shot out and sloppy chambers would need such.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:15 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
While on the subject, I have heard from smiths that it has to be done some say no, So to all you in the know who have done such a rechamber, I have a 12 year old Rem 700 with a incredibly tight chamber very low round count, Does the barrel have to be cut back, Or does the AI ream clean up the chamber well enough? I know shot out and sloppy chambers would need such.

To properly AI any standard chamber, the barrel needs to be set back at least one thread before an AI reamer is used. Why? The head space on an AI chamber by design is less/shorter than for the standard chamber. If you simply run an AI reamer into the existing chamber to clean up the shoulder area to 40 degrees, you will create an AI chamber with excessive head space.

As the original owner you might compensate after a first firing by backing off on the sizer die to accommodate for the excessive head space, but if you ever sell the rifle you need to fully explain the issue to a possible new owner to keep him safe. In the long run, setting the barrel back is the only REALISTIC and SAFE way to AI an existing standard chamber. For me the relatively low additional cost of setting the barrel back would allow me to sleep better at night if I ever sold the rifle.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-20-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
To properly AI any standard chamber, the barrel needs to be set back at least one thread before an AI reamer is used. Why? The head space on an AI chamber by design is less/shorter than for the standard chamber. If you simply run an AI reamer into the existing chamber to clean up the shoulder area to 40 degrees, you will create an AI chamber with excessive head space.

As the original owner you might compensate after a first firing by backing off on the sizer die to accommodate for the excessive head space, but if you ever sell the rifle you need to fully explain the issue to a possible new owner to keep him safe. In the long run, setting the barrel back is the only REALISTIC and SAFE way to AI an existing standard chamber. For me the relatively low additional cost of setting the barrel back would allow me to sleep better at night if I ever sold the rifle.

-BCB
Thank you BCB