Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-21-2020, 12:21 AM

Default Jewel trigger for Cooper model 21

I’m looking for some help. I recently purchased a very early model 21 Cooper in
17 Mach IV. The fella I purchased the gun from just offered to let me purchase the original Jewel trigger that came with the gun. I would like some idea of what a fair price for it would be? He didn’t include it with the gun to begin with because he says it’s been modified and he feels that it is unsafe. Does anyone know if I were to send it back to Jewel would they check it out for safety and repair it as needed? Has anyone here had any experience dealing with Jewel on any matters similar to this?
Thanks to all who can offer any information that will help.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:50 AM

Did he go into any detail on how he modified it? Since it's been played with I would think that the value would be less. I would gladly pay $200 for an original Jewel for any Cooper. The Jewel's that were put on the Cooper rifles had 5 screws. If someones only has 3 screws then they were the later triggers made with the left over parts. The 5 screw Jewel Triggers are SWEET. They can be set for single stage or two stage. Very easy to tune. At least in my experience it went very smooth. I don't see why anyone would need to modify the trigger outside of what the 5 screws adjust.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:04 AM

Best call Jewell to answer that one. Nice of him to muck it up and just now try and sell it to you! I have three Jard triggers in some of my Coopers. They’re a reasonable option for two Bens.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:02 AM

Jewell will not touch them. I’d ask him what modified means. I have a few, and unless he is talking about taking the second stage out, there really isn’t anything to modify, short of grinding on parts. These triggers go for $500+.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:03 PM

Default I remember

The Jewells for a Cooper bringing $400- plus back in the day.
Arnold and Dan had a disagreement and Arnold said he would never make another trigger for a Cooper.I had a 22-250 VE with a Jewell and sold it
Honestly the Cooper triggers can be adjusted down to be fairly decent.I think I may try a Jard on one of my 20VTs for fun.
Matt
Old 11-21-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_hound View Post
I’m looking for some help. I recently purchased a very early model 21 Cooper in
17 Mach IV. The fella I purchased the gun from just offered to let me purchase the original Jewel trigger that came with the gun. I would like some idea of what a fair price for it would be? He didn’t include it with the gun to begin with because he says it’s been modified and he feels that it is unsafe.
I would not touch it. He's already given you a warning. Jewel does not make that trigger any longer that I could see on their website. However, you can purchase a JARD trigger. I have a JARD trigger as well as Jewells and I like them both.

Save the money you were going to pay him and by the JARD instead.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwk View Post
Jewell will not touch them. I’d ask him what modified means. I have a few, and unless he is talking about taking the second stage out, there really isn’t anything to modify, short of grinding on parts. These triggers go for $500+.
For $500 + your trigger I can fix someone up with a Jewell trigger for a model 21.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 11-21-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
For $500 + your trigger I can fix someone up with a Jewell trigger for a model 21.
For anyone interested, this is not a plug and play deal. The stock has to be modified to accommodate the safety lever. In addition to that, the jewell will only fit pre 2005-06 coopers. All my pre 2006 coopers have Jewells, otherwise I would be taking you up on that offer. The Jard is junk IMO.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
I would not touch it. He's already given you a warning. Jewel does not make that trigger any longer that I could see on their website. However, you can purchase a JARD trigger. I have a JARD trigger as well as Jewells and I like them both.

Save the money you were going to pay him and by the JARD instead.
That’s bad advice. He should at the very minimum ask what the modification was. His gun already has the stock made to fit it(assuming it’s the original stock), so it would be plug and play. Compared to the Jewell, the Jard is garbage, especially the older ones.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:10 PM

[. The Jard is junk IMO.[/quote]

One opinion and you are intitled too it,, but I have several Jard triggers on various rifles and they have proven to be as good or better than some that others toot as the best. so I am just adding another opinion. Bill K