Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 10-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Supporting Member

Default commercial modified .223 brass not the best for 22 TCM.

I bought a few hundred cases of modified .223 and 5.56 brass that was supposed to be the 22 TCM. Now I know new brass should be formed and checked to verify it meets the case requirements but I was surprised that every case was too long and the necks required turning. I did all that which was time consuming but the cases work. I tried to find a place that sold once fired brass with the 22 TCM head stamp but they were all out of stock so I went to Ammo supply warehouse a bought from them. It costs a bunch for shipping but I figured it would be worth it. One troubling problem I found with the modified .223/5.56 brass was the variation in case volume so on top of the work I had to do on the brass I need to weigh the cases and my digital scale died on me. I'm hoping the factory 22 TCM brass is as good as people say it is. I don't have the Armscor pistol but I have an AR-15 carbine that works great with the factory ammo and my hand loads. the best part about the hand loads is I can use bullets that are way longer than the factory lead nosed slugs and I get great accuracy.

The magazine in the carbine is an M1 carbine magazine that works great for the longer 22 TCM loads.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Supporting Member

Default Brass

A man would think a vender would be up front about length and neck diameter.
Who was the vender?
Old 10-28-2016, 02:44 PM

Default Commercial Modified .223 bras

I would expect that the person making and forming 22TCM case's from .223 would make sure the length is correct and also turn the necks to the correct diameter, etc. before selling it as such.
Sounds like this person or company should up it's quality control before putting a produce out for sale..that way a person buying would not have to go to all the extra work to bring it up to the standard required. Bill K
Old 10-28-2016, 03:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles with brass. But I am always happy to see your work with small cases and the ar 15. Cool stuff.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Supporting Member

Sorry to say to those that wondered who the company was that made the modified brass -- I don't remember. I originally bought the brass to use to make another cartridge. It was to be a small 17 caliber but it turned out I didn't have the correct tooling for the project so the 22 TCM AR got built. Needless to say the work I did on the brass was not fruitless as it does function well and makes a heck of a nice little varmint rifle. I'm looking forward to the factory made brass and will sideline my old brass so the loads are a bit more consistent.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:10 PM

22 boomer, check your PM's.

Anyone else on the board monkeying with the .22 TCM?
Old 11-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Supporting Member

Not a 22 but I'am building a "20" TCM. Ordered and received my special ordered reamer, sent it and a couple of 20 caliber barrels off to be re chambered from my 20 VT "short" to the TCM. Reamer has a .239 neck and zero freebore.
Am using the factory with proper head stamped brass from Ammo Warehouse. Good stuff!!
Barrels are for my Savage actions. Single feed so no issues.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Supporting Member

Don't want to hijack the thread. Nor cal Mikie please do a project thread when you get closer to done, I looked at that option too and would like to see how it went for you. I ended up doing a 20 viper variation of Foxhunters' 17 viper and based it on 300 BLK cases. In my case the rifle is barreled, waiting on dies.
Drew