Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-06-2018, 12:56 PM

I guess I never will quite figure out why some have so much trouble forming brass. Me thinks they run the press like they are cracking nuts.

Run the thing with some "feel" and finesse you usually do t have to many problems. If it feels like your pushing a square peg through a round hole, you probably are.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:00 PM

17FB dies just hit the front door. Down to the dungeon, Hornady dies, cleaned any oil or rust preventative out of the inside.
Fired 221, as that is all I have for the moment.
Decap pin out and totally removed. No lube as I ran them through the 221 FL. Also square case mouth(trim) and nice chamfer. If there are any flaws or burrs, they will just follow all the way through the process. I think this maybe where some have issues, I as much as match prep brass before doing any sizing up or down. A crooked case mouth I believe may cause a lot of issues.

Ram all the way up in the RC press, screw die down to contact. One full revolution down, size brass. Looks good.
Braver now, three revolutions, size. Definitely moving a large amount of brass as there is a noticeable buldge below the 17 portion.
Another 3-4 revolutions, looks good.
Bottom out die on shell holder, ease the ram up. Looks good, measures good. No shoulder or neck issues.

Yes it would be easier and quicker if I had a couple of intermediate steps, but I don't for now. And yes maybe I shouldn't have or did not need to FL size this brass, but it is what I found I had with an unknown number of sizings and firings. I do know I never pushed the 221 when I had one. I was looking at more of a Hornet load.

I have some 12L14 I am going to thread and bore to make say a .20+or-, and then say a 18-19 +or-. Final polished dimensions are pretty forgiving and not critical. Much like the Bullberry and others. For $45 I can get a fair bit of good round stock. I need some lathe time anyway.

Waiting on a few things from Shars. Probably be after Christmas as I am hoping they will have another sale. Black Friday the items I wanted were out of stock.
Jeff

Last edited by JSH; 12-06-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

JSH:

works real easy just getting a 3' stick of 7/8" x 14 all thread.
think i paid $8 or $12 for it from Graingers, he even had to order
it in for me at N/C. Sure saves a lot of time and hassle threading
the rod.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"