Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeric View Post
The big model "B"?
that's the one.you can put a gallon glass jar inside with a small rag to tighten up against jar.tumble up to f you wish.me i2k 6 mm .800 lg. at a time if you wish. george
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 AM

Default Peeric

Unless your going to use the tumbler to clean brass and other stuff your wasting your money. Take the gallon mason jar lube it up and shake and roll for 15 - 20 minutes and your done. Take the tumbler money and buy something useful.

Stephen Perry
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM

Thanks guys!

IŽm waiting for a set of old B&A dies that I picked up for next to nothing from someone who didnŽt know what they were. My plan is to use those dies to see if I have the patience needed to invest in carbide dies

Another couple of questions! I remeber reading somewhere that the B&A core forming dies made tapered cores? Is that right? If so, wouldnŽt that make it impossible to use "jacket/core trays"?

Also, I will most likely need some more punches. Could I make them out of drill rod, or do they need to be hardened and ground to size?

//Peter Ericson
Old 04-06-2013, 02:44 AM
Supporting Member

b&a do use tapered cores you can still use bullet trays but you would have to flip over the one's that are upside down that would be a pain to me but it beats stuffing by hand.you can use soft punches to get going but I would recommend hardened ones the soft ones will wear out of round pretty quick say a few thousand bullets and there's always a chance of bending or dinging punch edge. george
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM

George,
You are really doing your best selling me a set of carbide dies

Tapered cores doesnŽt sound good at all, and I guess IŽll have to harden and grind the punches if I try to make them myself.

//Peter
Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 PM

I'm not using a tapered core either, but there could be some advantages. If you are using a jacket that has tapered walls, most do, the core could have a better chance of not trapping any air. You could also make your cores closer to final diameter if they fit the jackets better than a cylindrical core.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeric View Post
George,
You are really doing your best selling me a set of carbide dies

Tapered cores doesnŽt sound good at all, and I guess IŽll have to harden and grind the punches if I try to make them myself.

//Peter
peter,not really going in for neck surgery at end of month will be shut down until around july 1. tapered cores work fine I have a few sets of b&a sets around,i haven't used them in years but I never had any problems with there cores other than having to put in one way. george
Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george ulrich View Post
......going in for neck surgery at end of month will be shut down until around july 1. george
George, wishing you all the best for a good surgical outcome. I'm home at this time recovering from some low back surgery myself.

Guys, George is as good a guy as there is. When it comes to bullet dies and other high precision tooling...it just doesn't get much better. He's an innovative thinker and a hell of a BR competitor to boot.

Good shootin'. -Al
Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Supporting Member

Al,hope recovery is going well, been thru the lower back I didn't really enjoy it.Thanks for the kind words all I can say is I try my best on everything I make.as for the competitor part i'm not as shall I say enthused as I once was. get well soon George Ulrich
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM

No more throwing yourself under falling machinery George. Gary and I appreciate your support, even if your workshop equipment doesn't! Hope all goes well and your back on-line and firing on all cylinders again come July.

If your looking for something to do in the mean time, feel free to knock up your memoirs on bullet swaging and die making. I don't think we'll grow our understanding enough if another generation has to rediscover swaging again.

Quick, somebody give this man a book deal!