Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2016, 01:45 AM

I tried the Hodgdons starting load of 9.7gr of Lil Gun in my 17 Hornet today, and the result was 3777fps at 28 degrees. The primers and cases actually look okay, but I will be reducing the powder charge a bit.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:09 AM
Supporting Member

It's funny but back quite a while N120 was considered "THE" magic dust in the .17 Ackley Hornet, it's all I use in mine and it shoots lights out! Then the .17 Hornet which is really similar to the .17 Ackley Hornet shows up and they say N120 doesn't perform well .
Being unable to get .17 Hornet brass at first and loaded ammo shooting accurately but having beau-coups problems with the brass down to tapered primer pockets they had to stake the primer into for criminy's sake , I got a little help from a friend and we formed 400 Winchester Hornet cases to .17 Hornady Hornet for my rifle. So far all I've used in forming is 1680 but after I shoot these last few cases I'm forming you can bet N120 is a powder I'm gonna try as well as 2200.
It'll like what it likes but so far in forming, 1680 has sure made for some unhappy gophers and rock chucks .
Old 08-17-2016, 07:57 AM
Supporting Member

We can't get Western Powders (at all easily) in the UK, nearest is Lovex D063 which is supposed to be the same as AA1680.

As a result many of us prefer N120. My own forming load is 9.8gns behind a 20gn VMax in a PPU case. This gives 3000fps MV, and is good enough to stop foxes out to 150 yards, provided that I only heart and lung them.

With rabbits I can push that a little further still, but I'm looking forward to getting my dies back and fixed to start load development.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:57 PM
Supporting Member

Default What Doug said!

I agree, VV N120 works great in my 17AH and the 17HH are ballistic twins. Sooo, whats good for one should be good for the other. All other things being equal that is... (I know they rarely are)

But unless you have a stash of the N120 it's gonna be kind of hard to find. I purchased two 8 lb. jugs of the stuff years ago and thought it would last a life time in that diminutive case, but I'm already almost thru my first jug and wishing I could find some more.

I have a CZ in 17HH but haven't had the time to load for it with my move to TX. In my new home now and it seems like it will be forever unpacking and sorting out all FUBAR the movers left us in. 40 years in one home aint an easy move!!
Old 08-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Supporting Member

I'm with ya Larry. Years back it looked like beau-coups N120 and to some it still would but to me I'm not to the "nervous" state yet but every time I shoot that .17 Ackley it's on my mind. I got near 16lbs of it and yet as impossible as it is to get it still bugs me cause a how well it and my .17 Ackley get along . My bride says it's an illness of some sort! Must be a some sorta compliment huh ?
A reality check tells me I'm probably gonna have to be shooting till 15 years after I'm dead to run outta all the stuff I've stashed . Better to have it and not need it then the other way around.
If you try it in the .17 Hornet let us know huh? When I try it I'm gonna do the same. I just can't see it not working .
Old 08-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Banned

Default Hornet

AA 1680 H 110 that's what I like.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:06 PM

N-120 is easy for me to access, but 1680 isn't stocked locally. I happen to have three pounds of Lil Gun on hand that I would like to use up, and it is shooting slightly better in my rifle than N-120. I have dropped the powder charge of Lil Gun to 9.5grains, and the velocity was about 100fps less today, with five shot groups at 100m averaging .600". Now I will try varying the seating depth hoping to improve the accuracy.

Update!

I seated the bullets .005" closer to the lands and groups tightened right up. At under 1/2moa, I am now happy with the load. As well, since there were no issues with 9.7gr at 28degrees C, I am fairly confident that there won't be any surprises with 9.5gr.

Last edited by stubblejumper; 08-18-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:06 AM
Supporting Member

They like what they like don't they? I know I like anything based on the Hornet case . The .17 Ackley was love at first shot and I think Hornady bringing out their version of Ackley's is fantastic for all concerned. While I don't think Mr. Ackley ever worked with .20's I gotta say the .20 Ackley Hornet put together for me this spring is a real hoot as well. All the powders talked about so far fit with this case pretty good I'd bet....as long as the rifle thinks so .
Old 08-19-2016, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
They like what they like don't they? I know I like anything based on the Hornet case . The .17 Ackley was love at first shot and I think Hornady bringing out their version of Ackley's is fantastic for all concerned. While I don't think Mr. Ackley ever worked with .20's I gotta say the .20 Ackley Hornet put together for me this spring is a real hoot as well. All the powders talked about so far fit with this case pretty good I'd bet....as long as the rifle thinks so .
Yes my CZ really liked the N-120, the Cooper, not so much, but since I have three lbs of Lil Gun, 2200 20grain v-max bullets, and 3000 Remington 7-1/2 primers that I purchased together at a great price from someone that sold their 17 hornet, I am set for a while.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:44 AM
Supporting Member

As has happened to most of us I have a friend who also built a .20 Ackley Hornet this spring and he has a CZ 527 .17 Hornet also. He's in possession of multiple lbs of Lil'Gun as well and he's on a quest to get one a those two rifles to like the Lil'Gun and help him burn it up. I'll bet one of em will like it well enough to make him happy but if I only got one stab a guessing a powder for the two of em I think I'd lay my money on 1680 but as always the rifle gets the last pick .
We're fortunate today to have so many choices.