Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Savage barrel install

When putting together the action and barrel (stainless steel), are they put together dry, or is lubrication recommended? I assume thread lock is a no-no?
Thanks.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:45 PM

No threadlocker! Antisize should be used especially when installing a stainless barrel or on a stainless action, lube the nut threads lightly also. I think 40 to 45 Ft. pounds of torque is proper. Larry
Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 AM

I always use lube on my threads before screwing the receiver on .

Chris
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Supporting Member

When using a bbl nut, I just rap the wrench with my palm, probably not over 20 lbs. torque.Same with 700s', tap action wrench. Benchresters' use 25 ft lbs from what i've heard. Could be bs but works for me.Tom. And yes to neverseize, probably don't have to use the copper hi temp either.

Last edited by pwdrbrn; 11-15-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 AM

I kinda like the copper neverseize(anti-seize) stuff. The big boys use the silver based stuff.

If the threads are really tightly fitted to one another or of a similar material, gaulling can be a real threat. That is when the two sets of threads more or less weld themselves together.

I use the neverseize on the threads and on the pressure surfaces.

Threadlockers in barrel mounting to me fall into two useage categories. One is to cover up poor machining of the threads. The other is in the area of accuracy potential enhancements due to a very light torquing of the barrel onto the receiver. There are some that believe any torque on the threads/barrel shoulder will distort the chamber, hence the use of thread locker or retainer to hold things together.

How much torque one uses is probably in how one was taught or has come to a conclusion of such based on experiences. I know guys that use 100 ft-lbs on his rifles and they shoot. Likewise I know others that use much less.....If I was going to take the barrel off regularly, probably one would win out.

I would recommend a anti-seize type of material on the threads and joining pressure points as in shoulders.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Supporting Member

Just about any good grease will work. Nothing wrong with Anti-Seize, other than the fact that it will get on everything. I use both, depends which is closer.
(Anti-sieze works good on the earpiece of the phone reciever when the Boss answers the phone or under the door handle of his car)
A good (lite) rap with a steel hammer on the nut wrench will keep the nut tight. Double check the headspace after you set the nut.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:40 PM

I use my palm on the action wrench handle on any action I barrel, perhaps 15 to 30 pounds, just a guess. I've never had one come loose, but they are all easily removed later - just a bump of the palm on the wrench handle.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Supporting Member

There are some that believe any torque on the threads/barrel shoulder will distort the chamber, hence the use of thread locker or retainer to hold things together.

Rick,
That kind of thinking is caused by bad houch. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 AM

I did not say that I was a true believer in the super light torque on barrel fitments...........

I did say that some have experimented with such, some still are, one of the believers in that no longer offers the service. I have never delved into such myself, but try to keep an open mind and make my own decisions.

I remember several times at a big time benchrest shoot, that some guy with a switch barrel forgot to snap up the barrel, and it was still loose during the string. His group was ok, but not what it usually was.

I like index marks on barrel/receiver interfaces, but the applied torque is somewhat dependent upon useage. With that said, I like torque myself so far; as it seems to perform. Application of torque in rifles is kinda like what you like to sip or drink.

The good stuff stunts my growth, so every now and then; won't hurt..........
Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 AM

I used some copper colored anti seize I got from an auto parts store. Worked good and it resists temperatures to 1000 degrees. Not that I recommend or endorse getting a barrel that hot. It's just nice knowing you could and the anti seize won't be affected.