Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 PM

Default Question re: Swaging Lubricants

I've thought about swaging for over 30 years and now have finally I've got around to it. I received my 30 cal steel dies back in Oct '10 from Richard Corbin and have a few questions regarding swaging lubricant. Corbin's lube is (I think) 1:1 anhydrous lanolin & castor oil. I've noticed that most on this forum are just lanolin or a mixture using vasoline. It also appears most are using a different lube for their cores. My questions are as follows...

1. How does vasoline and castor oil (mixture with lanolin)compare?
2. Why is a different lube used for core swaging(Mystery Oil, etc.)?

Any input would be appreciated. Great forum!

Thanks, JD
Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Supporting Member

Default core lube

when squirting cores from lead, it is essential to use a lube that is easily removed (water soluble) like RCBS lube. It does not take a lot of lube to squirt cores, and it is essential that they get clean. Pointing up is a different situation and lube is most important.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:43 PM

johnboy,

I thought maybe a lower viscosity oil was needed for some reason for core swaging. I had also read somewhere that some were using RCBS lube as it was water soluble.

I'm just getting started and have been reading all I can find in reference to swaging. I just want to get started in the right direction. I've also read that some are using lard oil and neets foot oil also in mixtures of lanoline for bullet swaging. My only concern with some of these oils (mainly lard) is maybe traces of salt which could possibly cause rust in dies if not cleaned out before storing. I appreciate the input.

Thanks, JD
Old 01-14-2011, 12:24 AM

JD,

I was having some difficulty using a 50/50 solution as you describe. Bullets not ejecting from the point up die properly, folds, and very large pressure rings ( .0015" on a .308 bullet. I have scoured the forums and started experimenting with a small batch of lube measured out of a syringe 6cc of pure lanolin and 2cc of vasoline. (3:1) with one small batch of .224 bullets (500) it seems to work a little better. I am going to try a 3:2 and 1:1 as well mixing up only enough for a couple of bullet runs to find what works best in my B&A steel dies.

I hope this helps you find a lube that makes good bullets in your dies.

Steve

If your shooting a pistol in a rifle match and not in last place, it is a good day indeed.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Steve, that's what I would like to know. I know that over the years that probably the 1:1 ratio lanolin and castor oil worked ok, but there is a reason some of the top BR quality bullet makers are using something else (neetsfoot oil, lard, vasoline etc.) and different ratios. I would like to know everyone's experiences with different lubes for core and bullet swaging. I hope you will post your results in reference to different ratios of vasoline as you are using steel dies also. I don't know if different cal's require different lubes or not. I know that carbide dies probably use a different amount of lube, but does steel dies require a different lube?

As for pressure rings, I have only swaged about 100 or so bullets and those shanks were running at 0.308 with pressure rings 0.3083-0.3084. I also swaged some by lubing with my fingers but never miked any. I might add that these were RBT bullets and a few FB bullets. I tumbled 100 1.150 J4's with about 1gr of the lube that Richard Corbin sent with my dies, which I think is 1:1 lanolin/castor oil and I think this too much. I also used this lube to swage the cores. As for ejection, I really had no problems but my point up die (8S) has a 0.091 ejection pin. I hope to get another point-up die with a smaller pin in the near future and that will probably be completely another animal.

Again thanks for the input and any help out there is appreciated.

JD
Old 01-14-2011, 04:14 PM

JD, if you go to BenchrestCentral and search bullet making there is a lot of good stuff there.

Dan Honert
Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 PM

Dan, I just left BR Central's site and found some info there.

Thanks, JD
Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 PM

JD

I used more lube than that I think, if memory serves me, was 22-25 gr /1000 for 30 caliber 1.08" jackets in a thimblers tumbler. for 22/6mm it's around 15 gr / bucket (sometimes 2100). I tried to equalize the amount of lube used to the total area that I was trying to lube.

As far as cores go I squirt them with a dose of wd40 and drizzle some motor oil on them and tumble by hand with a clean t-shirt rag before swaging. Then into a boiling water vat with either simple green or Krud Kutter to de-grease. When they come out of that they flash dry on a clean bath towel and I set them aside to oxidize slightly before continuing. That ensures they are free of oil contaminates.

I'll keep you guys informed on the lube experements as they unfold.

Steve

If your shooting a pistol in a rifle match and not in last place, it is a good day indeed.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 PM

Default another question

Do you guys add lube after core seating before pointing-up? If so, do you degrease and add more lube and tumble again and if not, do you tumble the cored jackets again to redistribute the lube prior to pointing-up?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:32 PM

JD,

Lube the jackets before core seating. Putting the cored jackets in a tumbler can cause problems since the jackets are tapered, the cores can come out even after being pressed in. Because of the constant banging around they can become loose and fall out. After pointing the cores are really locked in place.

Make sure when your seating the core that you place them in a clean container before pointing. CLEANLINESS is the watchword. Anything getting on the jackets after lubing will end up inside the pointing die and abrasives cut better with lube.

Steve