Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-03-2020, 11:03 PM

For all that are saying. "it's just paint". Do you think Tempra " paint" is the same as an epoxy paint on industrial equipment? They are all coatings. They are not all paint.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:13 PM

Interesting video. Amazing the failings of a blue job versus cerakote.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:16 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
For all that are saying. "it's just paint". Do you think Tempra " paint" is the same as an epoxy paint on industrial equipment? They are all coatings. They are not all paint.
I think that getting some folks to understand what you are saying through their biases might rank in difficulty with pushing a log chain up a steep hill.

I've paid for expensive bluing on a few rifles that I've had built. That said, they have been hunted but never hunted in truly bad weather over time because they will rust fairly quickly. Cerakote, on the other hand, will survive situations where bluing has long given up the ghost such as an extended hunt in rainy weather. From experience, a serious hunting rifle for me is either stainless or it has a coated finish like Cerakote that will far out-protect normal bluing processes.

And again, if applied properly by someone who knows what he is doing, Cerakote is not only a durable finish but its also a very good looking finish. Even on pricey rifles........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 12-04-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Up here on the mountain it's dry.

I've had my blued rifle caked to me in 3" of ice
that had to be chipped off both me and the gun
before they'd let me in the house. Had both hands in my
pockets, gun on the arm pointed down in a bitch of a blizzard.
Knocked the ice off and stood it in the corner over night. Lots
of snow that elk season for three weeks back then.
NO sign of rust.

I've got some over 50 guns of all types and ages. The ONLY one
I've ever had rust was a very beautiful K-38 s/w in a nylon holster
that was in a plastic range box with four Blackhawks in leather holsters.
The guy that took care of the house while I was laid up with health for
3 years back in '12-15 had set the box in front of the swamp cooler.

I couldn't get down in the room two steps. Not a spec of rust on anything
except that Smith and it had a 1/16" on it. showed it to Rider soon after finding it that way.

Ended up soaking a week in vinegar then the late gunsmith cleaned the insides out 'full of rust". He didn't want to buff the pits off and mess up the
lettering. I'm sure it's cerakoted, looks nice but has a frosty finish from the pits.

That and a M-37 Ithica Dad kept in the basement closet in a felt gun case is all the guns I've ever seen rusted. That one I couldn't buff it off with 4/0 wool. I painted it with black Aluma-Hide. Looks nice and seems to be fairly durable.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-05-2020, 03:20 PM

Sorry to here about your S&W K-38. My son had very corrosive sweat, especially on his hands. He would leave fingerprints all over my nice blued firearms when he would use them. I would have to wipe them down immediately after use with an oiled rag, and then clean them. I found that if I put a heavy coat of RIG on them with a sheepskin for storage, it would keep them from fingerprinting. That has worked for 30+ years now.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:58 PM

I bought a Howa barreled action from Brownell's a few years back. It was Cerracoated, presumably from the factory. I stocked it from the blank with a piece of California English walnut. which involves many applications of Jarrow's inleters black. The carbon black stained the coating badly. I have never been able to get the stains out. Never again.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I only use TruOil for stock finish.
Tried lacquer once, it peeled that was in high school shop.
Solvents wrecked it.'

Linspeed was way too dark for my liking. Couldn't see the
fine grain.
TruOil after an enhancement stain seems to be great at
showing the grain.

Good to hear a negative among all these positives.
Sorry about the stains though.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-06-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I think that getting some folks to understand what you are saying through their biases might rank in difficulty with pushing a log chain up a steep hill.

I've paid for expensive bluing on a few rifles that I've had built. That said, they have been hunted but never hunted in truly bad weather over time because they will rust fairly quickly. Cerakote, on the other hand, will survive situations where bluing has long given up the ghost such as an extended hunt in rainy weather. From experience, a serious hunting rifle for me is either stainless or it has a coated finish like Cerakote that will far out-protect normal bluing processes.

And again, if applied properly by someone who knows what he is doing, Cerakote is not only a durable finish but its also a very good looking finish. Even on pricey rifles........

-BCB
I guess your saying giving people actual facts don't work?? I am comparing apples to oranges just like someone comparing a ceramic coating to spray paint. I guess that just does not make sense to some.