Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 01-11-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Never say never! A Savage Fireball build

Compared to most of you on this board, I still consider myself as a "rifle newbie", but in the last 10-15 years of this affliction, I had built a taste for specific rifles (Tikka, Sako, Custom builds, etc.). The Savage although capable of excellent accuracy in most cases was just not very pleasing to my eye. Then I read an article in the Summer 2013 issue of Varmint Hunter Magazine by Norman Johnson detailing some older Savage 112 Series J rifles.
[IMG][/IMG]
Most of you know these are their odd "medium" length action and are factory single shot made between approx. 1975-79. Plus old school blued and walnut! The more research I discovered agreed...these things were shooters for factory rifles, often rivaling their Remington 40X competitors at shoots. I searched for several months and finally found a nice original in 222. They are indeed good shooters. As is usually the case with me, that wasn't enough. What about one of these in a 221 Fireball?
Several more months of searching finally revealed a "well-used" example in 243 along with a VX-3 Leupold for a very attractive package price. Over the next few months, I'll be converting this rifle to 221 Fireball to shoot the 40 grainers in the prairie dog fields. Stock will need refinished, bedded, etc. Hope to keep you updated with pics.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Default Pics of original rifle

Here are some pics of the 243 as received. Pretty rough but there is potential....

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-11-2017, 03:43 PM

Default Never say never.. A savage fireball build

For sure, never say never. Looking forward to more photos and what and how your new build goes. Bill K
Old 01-11-2017, 05:06 PM
Supporting Member

The Savage (know as the "J") was my first Savage. 110 V in .223 to be exact. I'll have that one till the day I die. It has been a BUNCH of different calibers. Started life as a .223, then got a .223 barrel with a brake. Not much of any difference but at least I tried. Then I went to a .221 Fireball. (more on that in a bit)
Then it was turned into a 6 BR, then a 22 BR then into a 6.8 BR. Might even be a 6.8 SPC now. I'de have to check. Just too easy to change calibers. And all were set up as single shots with a single shot follower from Sharp Shooter Supply. Never any issues with feeding that way.

About the .221 Fireball:
It will feed on a single shot action but it won't extract worth beans. Short case pops off the bolt head because of the length. Tried EVERYTHING!! Shortened the extractor pin, no good. Once the "short" case gets to the action port, it pops off the bolt head. Finally removed the pin and spring and never looked back.
Short case stays on the bolt head till you pick it off. Never have to chase brass that way. Couple of Coopers are said to work with the .221 Fireball but being a Savage Guy, I"ll never know from first hand experience.
Problems finding scope mounts for the "J" series. Not all the holes match up to the holes in the action. Cut out in the mount was too short or too long and never matched the action opening. Finally picked up a couple of mounts with an adjustable rear windage. Shipped them off to a guy that knew what he was doing. Had him cut them apart, match pieces and weld them back together. Looks like a "factory" mount to me. All screw holes match, port opening matches like it should. Nothing like a "Custom Made Mount" to make your day.
As far as changing stocks if you ever have that desire, recoil lug slot needs to be repositioned a bit and front action screw hole needs moving a little. (Back end of the action is the same as the rest of the 10/110 actions)
Cured that by having custom made "escutions" (S?) made for the front screw. A little "Bling" never hurt anybody. Short action stocks take very little modifications to fit the "J" actions.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 01-11-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the excellent suggestions NorCal. Sounds like I will leave the ejector plunger and spring on my bench when assembling the new bolt face. In terms of scope mounts, on my 222 I purchased the Talley Lightweights for it and they worked pretty well.
[IMG][/IMG]
Wanted to add rigidity to the action on this so considering the EGW Picatinny rail. Do you know if they will they line up correctly?
I think the walnut stock will clean up with a refinishing so attempting to stay with the original if possible.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 PM

You will have to do some grinding on the inside of the bolt body to get the "new" boltface to fit in the bolt. There is a "nub" that the "old" style boltface fits around OK, but the "new" style boltface won't. Pretty easy with a dremel tool & file. Converted my old 112J single shot from 220 Swift to 20 Practical. Take the ejector out & your cases will stay on the bolt face until you pluck them off. This is a must with the FB case. Perfect PD rifle!!
Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Supporting Member

I really don't think you'll gain any extra rigitidy by going with the EGW rail but it's your rig so build it the way YOU want it. Seems like I checked into different mounts and went with the "Custom built" one piece with the rear windage adjustment because some of the holes on Savage actions were off just enough that you couldn't get the scope to line up. Did LOTS of checking before I made that final decision.
Started playing with the 17 VHA and ordered bolt heads from PT&G "without" the ejector hole. One less thing to worry about. Worked like a charm.
IMHO, the "J" series is one of the better Savage rigs made. And there's STILL a few around to be had if you look hard enough.
Might suggest if and when you go to the .221 Fireball, think about going short throat to zero on the freebore. Stuff those 40s into the lands. You can always go to heavier bullets as the throat wears but that will take a while. And don't bother turning case necks. Load 'em up and go shooting. Best 5 shot group measured .110 and a dime will cover most groups with NO PROBLEMS!!

Don't get too carried away making that stock pretty. It CAN get to the point that you might not want to shoot it. Looks pretty good from here.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 01-11-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 PM

Default Scope mount update

I spoke with Cody at EGW. Super helpful over the phone...we took all critical measurements from the J action and found that his Medium action, flat rear rail will fit perfectly. All holes align and fit over the action opening is spot on. Ordered a couple and will post a pic when installed.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Off with the old...

[IMG][/IMG]

On with the new, less ejector! Those PT&G bolt heads are works of beauty. Got the nub ground out of the bolt body just like suggested. Worked great. Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:41 PM

Looks like a good project. A friend of mine took a cheap Axis .223 and put a Shilen 1-9 barrel and a Boyd's stock on it. Feeds and ejects with no problem and shoots lights out.

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 01-13-2017 at 03:44 PM.