Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-06-2017, 07:14 PM

Default My .20 Vartarg Story

Have been shooting PD's for close to 20 years with my dad. Have always used 223, 243, and even the experimental 300 Weatherby Mag Varminter. About five years back I picked up a piece of crap Rem 700 SPS in .17 fireball and fell in love. The only thing about it that I absolutely hated was trying to clean the bore, especially half-way through a string having to walk back to the car. A few years back I was deployed with a fellow walking ballistics table and we were talking about no-recoil varmint guns, long story short, it led me to learning about the 20VT.

A year or so ago I ordered a barreled action from Shilen (DGR) and pieced together a fine shooting rifle. Used the 700 SPS bottom metal and spring/follower. I did not know about the ejection angle issues or any of that (I do now). I also did not know about neck tightness on the available brass. Purchased 500 cases from sight sponsor "High Plains Brass" and was very happy with it.

Had I been reading this forum sooner I would have bought a 527 .204 Varmint and had the barrel set back and re-chambered. Overall that would have saved me close to a grand. On the other hand, my Shilen shoots 5 shot groups that are very good. Special thanks to hillbillysniper for his load data thread that he's been working on for about five years. Saved me a lot of work.

I still have that 17 fireball and trade the bottom metal back and forth when shooting (although it does feel quite wrong to do so). I'll post a picture once I'm a bit more familiarized with how things work around here.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:09 PM

Default My 20 Vartarg story

Yes, one fine cartridge, that many of us have gone too. Also some have reworked it even, into the 20 SCC. Bill K
Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 PM

Glad to hear your 20 Vartarg is doing well. It's a Awesome little caliber my Favorite. Good to know that the load data helped also. Thanks you and Good Shooting
Old 02-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Supporting Member

It's hard not to like the mighty 20VT. I have never heard anyone that has one complain. Enjoy and welcome to to Saubier.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Yes, one fine cartridge, that many of us have gone too. Also some have reworked it even, into the 20 SCC. Bill K
Bill, what is the SCC? I haven't come across the details on that one yet.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prose View Post
Bill, what is the SCC? I haven't come across the details on that one yet.
Go too Small Caliber Club website or Custom Reloading Tools (Brad Schultz) and you can read all about it. It is basically the 20 Vartarg, improved. Bill K
Old 02-14-2017, 05:22 PM

The Vartarg is like Ol' Will Rogers: It never met a shooter it did not like! And, vise versa! It comes from good heritage: The Impeccable 221 Fireball, and its Daddy the 222 Rem!

Bill
Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Go too Small Caliber Club website or Custom Reloading Tools (Brad Schultz) and you can read all about it. It is basically the 20 Vartarg, improved. Bill K
Kind of in shock that I'd never come across the small caliber club website till just now. Seems to have a lot of gunsmiths rather than just shooters which is interesting for folks intrigued by the technical of it all.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prose View Post
Kind of in shock that I'd never come across the small caliber club website till just now. Seems to have a lot of gunsmiths rather than just shooters which is interesting for folks intrigued by the technical of it all.
Plenty of tech stuff, but they also talk, cuss and discuss our small caliber's and shooting. Cruise it and you will see and enjoy it, I believe. Bill K
Old 03-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Gift Registry

I was looking at the high plains brass website today and noticed something that I though was very odd.

There are some options such as write a review, email a friend, and perhaps a bit surprisingly, "add to gift registry."

This weekend is my seventh anniversary, and let me tell you, if I put brass in my registry seven years ago I would still be hearing about it today.

If anyone has ever done such a thing share your story about guilt and redemption for all of us to learn from.