Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-09-2017, 06:31 AM

Default Sako L461 .20-222

Hello out there. New Aussie member, long time intermittent lurker. I thought for my first post I would share about my most recent rifle project.

I am a member of an Aussie forum called Ausvarmint (as are a few other members here - g'day Camel, Johnno and 6x47L). The various 20cals have been quite popular over the last 5 years or so, and the .20-222 has got a bit of airplay thanks to our resident pro-rabbit shooter (Camel). It was his posts that got me thinking about the .20-222 as the chambering for my first custom barrelled rifle.

The reasons it was attractive were:

- I already load for two .222s (a Sako A1 sporter and an Anschutz 1532 sporter) and have plenty of brass
- I love the small Sako action and the .222 case fits perfectly
- The velocities and accuracy reported for good loads using 32gn projectiles were impressive
- The rifle would be used for shooting feral foxes, cats and rabbits under the spotlight out to 300m and the lack of recoil and flat trajectory would be perfect

The first donor rifle I bought (a late L461 varmint .223) proved to be very worn in the action, and so I found another donor in the form of a sporter weight L461 .222 with a pitted barrel - now I had better go and find and read a post about how to attach photos!

To be continued......

Marcus
Old 02-09-2017, 06:40 AM

Well I get the window that tells you that types and sizes of files that can be attached, but the mechanism to navigate to the file to attach is not evident??

Marcus
Old 02-09-2017, 01:25 PM

hello mate good look with the build looking forward to seeing it
Old 02-09-2017, 01:37 PM

Welcome to the forum. My first small caliber build was a 20-222. You will love it. Fun round and easy to make.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 02-09-2017, 06:56 PM

Hiya Marcus. I'm a new guy also, and am building a 20-222 also. AND -- my sister lives in Australia. (Perth) Never been there myself.

I'm waiting on my barrel from an outfit called PacNor over here, not far from where I live. That barrel is gonna be a Remage nut type, with 11/1 twist. According to the reamer print, the neck is .235", which is very roomy and should allow me to shoot even necked down Lapua brass without turning necks.

Oh yeah, the action is a Rem 700 with my old 222 barrel on it right now.

I'll be watching your progress, and am hoping to hear from as many guys as possible with advice and direction. jd
Old 02-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Supporting Member

Default here ya go

Something to keep you motivated, Sako L46 with a MRC 1-11" #4 in 20-222, 232nk. Rifle was a mess with a cut down 222 barrel and a home varnish recoat on the stock. New 25" 20 cal barrel and matte blue, stripped stock and a Purdy's oil finish, steamed out all dents and scratches. Really like the 20-222.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:44 PM

Why not go with a 20 Bobcat? Higher velocity, longer case life, higher "cool" factor.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:19 PM

Hello there Marcus, you finally decided to join in, good stuff mate. I still haven't worked out the photo thing here either, too complex for an old fart like me.

jds, I have a Pacnor 1-11 on my 20/222, its got a .234 neck and I use unturned Lapua brass and have not had one little problem so far, its a fantastic cartridge, mine has well over 2000 shots down the tube so far and still shoots around 1/2 inch groups at 100 yrds. I is my main fox shooting rifle, and in the four or five years I have had it, I have taken well over a thousand foxes, several dozen feral pigs, the same feral goats, lots of crows, a few rabbits and probably a couple of hundred feral cats, most at close range, but some of the foxes, cats and crows were well over the 300 yds mark.

Chuck, that is a nice looking rifle, even for a Sako

jepp22, I am still using the same 200 brass that I originally necked down, they have well over 10 firings each on them, haven't lost one except for when I accidentially flick one out the window and cant find it at night. Those Z max 32gn bullets are the ducks guts eh ?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Something to keep you motivated, Sako L46 with a MRC 1-11" #4 in 20-222, 232nk. Rifle was a mess with a cut down 222 barrel and a home varnish recoat on the stock. New 25" 20 cal barrel and matte blue, stripped stock and a Purdy's oil finish, steamed out all dents and scratches. Really like the 20-222.

No need for the motivation Chuck, I have been shooting the rifle for a few weeks but that would be jumping ahead in the story! I agree though, the .20-222 is something that is easy to like.

I have pursued those photos of yours a few times over the last 12 months or so. Nice rifle, and nice resurrection story. I have a similar "Phoenix rifle" story to tell, but that will be the subject of another thread.

Marcus
Old 02-10-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
Hiya Marcus. I'm a new guy also, and am building a 20-222 also. AND -- my sister lives in Australia. (Perth) Never been there myself.

I'm waiting on my barrel from an outfit called PacNor over here, not far from where I live. That barrel is gonna be a Remage nut type, with 11/1 twist. According to the reamer print, the neck is .235", which is very roomy and should allow me to shoot even necked down Lapua brass without turning necks.

Oh yeah, the action is a Rem 700 with my old 222 barrel on it right now.

I'll be watching your progress, and am hoping to hear from as many guys as possible with advice and direction. jd
G'day JD,

Obviously your sister is a woman of discerning taste, I like her already. You will have to come over one day. Camel and I are over on the eastern side of the country though.

My barrel is a Pacnor too - details will be provided later in the thread. Camel's rifle has a pre-fit Pacnor from memory and as you can see it shoots well.

Marcus

Last edited by Branxhunter; 02-10-2017 at 06:59 AM.