Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-20-2017, 01:35 PM

I have a 50mm Nightforce on my .204 heavy Barrel. It is big, expensive, and I don't use it much due to its size. A pleasure to look through.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:53 PM

My favourite Varminting scope, on sits on a Sako L46 Mack IV, a Swarovski Z5 5x25x52 with a BRX reticle, Have a Z5 3x18x44 BT plex, sitting in a box waiting for my new Cooper 6x45 to show up.
I have others, Leopold varmint, Nikon monarch etc, but like the Swarovski, by far the most.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:33 PM

If the wind is blowing, I found out how much I like a moa reticle. For light wind, and paper I prefer a fine dot. What is your intended use and what is your budget? I wish I would have bought several 4200 elites in 6X24 when they closed out, as it is crystal clear. My Cabela's Covenant 6x24 is clear enough for a 1/4 mile shot on a prairie dog.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:07 PM

The are a lot of good suggestions above. Something to keep in mind is there is a rumor that Vortex is discontinuing the HS-T line so expect these to be blown out at places like EuroOptic. They are a little heavy but are very good scopes.

Also, there was mention of a mildot scope. If you are considering this keep in mind that it is best to have mil turret adjustments if you will be using the mildot reticle. Mil / moa can have its issues if trying to use both. If it was your only scope them this can be worked around but if not you have to reacquaint yourself with it every time you use it.

Its not a 20X but the Leupold VX2 6-18x40 with a wind plex reticle is a nice scope.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
If the wind is blowing, I found out how much I like a moa reticle. For light wind, and paper I prefer a fine dot. What is your intended use and what is your budget? I wish I would have bought several 4200 elites in 6X24 when they closed out, as it is crystal clear. My Cabela's Covenant 6x24 is clear enough for a 1/4 mile shot on a prairie dog.
I am not sure we are talking about the same reticles but I am a big fan of xmas tree type reticles. I do a combination of hold and dial and with the horizontal wind dots makes shots fairly easy if you measured the wind correctly. With follow up shots even easier. It took me about 3 days of constant use before I was able to see past the clutter and see the benefits but I sure do like them for sniping PD's and RC's. Coyote's I use a simple duplex type reticle and MPBR system.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Intended use is varmints. Budget is $500. I don't mind waiting for a good deal.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
The are a lot of good suggestions above. Something to keep in mind is there is a rumor that Vortex is discontinuing the HS-T line so expect these to be blown out at places like EuroOptic. They are a little heavy but are very good scopes.

Also, there was mention of a mildot scope. If you are considering this keep in mind that it is best to have mil turret adjustments if you will be using the mildot reticle. Mil / moa can have its issues if trying to use both. If it was your only scope them this can be worked around but if not you have to reacquaint yourself with it every time you use it.

Its not a 20X but the Leupold VX2 6-18x40 with a wind plex reticle is a nice scope.
Sounds like good advice, thanks.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesasmith View Post
I agree with Allen. A side focus for field shooting is a must for me. If limited to 6.5-20, I would go with the Zeiss Conquest mil-dot. I suggest considering the 6-24 range as there are even more options and a little extra power.

Chuck
I like the idea of expanding my options and will look into it.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:35 PM

I'm leaning toward the Weaver Grand Slam.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
I'm leaning toward the Weaver Grand Slam.
Flashole,

Natchez has everything 10% off and it ends 6/23. Might want to pull the trigger on it.