Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2017, 02:23 AM
Supporting Member

Default This is a first, Hope'n horrible 100 yard group (maybe not)

Well I bought a bmag from one if you fine fellers sold as a known bad shooter.

Savage sent me a bolt mod at no charge.

I bought a Boyd's stock.

Ended up shooting a decent 100 yard group.... with the 25 vmax that is. The 20s was a diff story, more like a crap shoot. For me I don't see the point in the 25s. I'd rather shoot 20s or lighter.

A long time back I called savage and they said it had a 2" garrnttee. But since I modified it (the stock) I wasn't sure I'd get it back (don't have the plastic anymore).

Then I got to thinking why waste the shipping charges.

But now it's time to use it or replace it. What do you think? Anyone have experience with the newer savage bmag. Thinking about recording a 100 yard group. Might be better to recycle?

Last edited by GLWenzl; 07-04-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:34 AM

A friend of mine spoke with a gunsmith who's had good luck with the caliber. He says it's the Savage barrels that are crap. He's done aftermarket barrel conversions and they all shoot accurately and way better than the factory rifles.
My .02? I don't buy a factory rifle that I have to put a lot of modifications in it and spend a bunch of money to get it to shoot. Cheaper and less headaches in the long run to just do a complete custom. YMMV.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:20 PM

Default B Mag

I feel your pain I had one of these Rifles and when I got it it was shooting 7 and 8 inch groups at 50 yards Mine came with a Boyds Laminate stock it was bedded at the point where the barrel and action meet and noplace else. It had a thin barrel so after trying a little pressure bedding along the barrel that did help slightly every 5 shot group was pretty loose maybe 5" with 1 flier I disassembled the rifle about 20 times trying to see if I missed something but always the same results the thin barrel would heat up after a couple of rounds and the hits would be all over the target. The best results I had with this rifle was with a barrel deresinator 2" groups all shooting at 50 yrds so I sold this rifle to a guy with full disclosure on accuracy for a Praire Dog hunt he goes on every year he claims he'll burn out the barrel in 2 days and 2" groups were fine for what he was doing. I was extreamly disappointed with this Rifle and if I wasn't so Happy with my other Savage Rifles I would never buy another Savage Product but I own 2 Model 93R 17 HMR's one TR Model and one BV Model both Bull Barrels and both shoot very well. All I can say is Savage dropped the ball on the B Mag I would never spend a Nickle on one again but if someome was giving me one I would insist on a heavy barrel because I believe thats where the trouble lies

Last edited by shortfuse; 07-04-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:52 PM

I've long held a saying, "Lead me not into temptation, I can get there by myself," and you guys are doing a fine job of removing the slightest bit of temptation I've felt to buy one of those B Mags, no matter how cheap. Still have ideas about ordering a Contender carbine barrel, though.

Rage on! Maybe, just maybe, someone from Savage who gives a damn just might get hold of this thread and actually do something about it.

I can always dream, can't I??
Old 07-04-2017, 02:09 PM

I cannot help but think an aftermarket barrel would do some good. Mess with the bedding and headspacing.......trigger too.............what fun huh?

The 3000 fps is enticing, if you have good luck, might spur me on to putting a 17 WSM barrel on a No.1 like I have been thinking about for 5 years now.....
Old 07-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Default This is a first, Hope'n horrible 100 yard group

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
I've long held a saying, "Lead me not into temptation, I can get there by myself," and you guys are doing a fine job of removing the slightest bit of temptation I've felt to buy one of those B Mags, no matter how cheap. Still have ideas about ordering a Contender carbine barrel, though.

Rage on! Maybe, just maybe, someone from Savage who gives a damn just might get hold of this thread and actually do something about it.

I can always dream, can't I??
Tom. My thought also, thought about one also, but just seem turned off by more bad, than good comments on that rifle.
I did have 17Mk 2 contender 23in barrel rechambered to 17 VHA and that little cartridge shoots like a house on fire, plus re-loadable and is very cost effective too shoot. 10 grains of AA1680 with the 20 grain bullet does a fine job of giving squeeks and even some coyotes lessons. Bill K
Old 07-04-2017, 04:39 PM

I bought one of the gen one sporter contour bmags with the plastic stocks. With both the 20 and 25 Winchester ammo it did not shoot well at all. I was tempted to sell it off but my experience with my savage 93R17 taught me to be patient with the barrel and give it some time to break in. Eventually it got better and it was then that I noticed that the newer ones had laminated stocks so before I went that route I decided to try fixing the plastic stock. I first dremeled out the forend and epoxied a 1/4" steel rod from the recoil lug area to the end of the forend. I then epoxy bedded the receiver, assembled it and took it out and shot it. It now shoots the 25's less than moa and the 20's around 1.25" at 100. I am hoping the new 15 grain offering shoots as well or better but have not been able to find it locally yet. I also did the savage bolt fix and added an aftermarket bolt handle that really helped a lot. The stock bolt handle is so small its hard to grab and has very little leverage. Its almost too lite but used with a tab gear sling and a mono pod it makes a good walking varminter.

Overall I like the cartridge a lot. Chambered in a CZ or Anschutz would be the ideal platform but that may be just wishful thinking. It would be nice if savage would offer a model that was not so cheaply built. They seem to always cut corners with junk plastic stocks and other cheap components to keep costs down. They make a nice centerfire varmint rifle in their LRPV model rifle so why would they not offer a higher end bmag option?

Last edited by coyotezapper; 07-04-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 PM
Banned

Default Savage B-Mag

Just got back from rifle range. Had my B mag and some 20gr ammo, shot 3 shots at 100yd moved target to 50 yds shot 3 more times group size .450 for six shots!!
Old 07-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Supporting Member

My suggestion, go with the 17 HH. Better performance, same ammo cost and you can reload it. The guns you can get are a heck of a lot more accurate than the Bmags seem to be. If you are dead set on a 17 WSM, get a CZ 455 or a Sako Quad and a custom Lilja barrel. You will be far and away ahead of the game.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:06 PM

Will a quad handle the psi?? It would be nice if th 527 would be made into a .17 WSM. What is REALLY too bad is the H&R handi was not offered in WSM. I can't believe Savage can't do better than this rifle.