Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2017, 11:57 PM

Ammo prices are staying right around the $15-17 per box of 50. The new 15 grain will probably be a little higher because of the bullet type.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 AM
Supporting Member

It's no big deal... I'm that guy who always roots for the underdog and I bought it with low expectations. I normally like to tinker but because of health, work and a lot of family things I just don't make time to play much anymore. And when it comes to 17s, I don't just have one of about every size but a min of two and in some cases more than several in different configurations.

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with it. Was kind of thinking that maybe the newer barrels are better? Might have my son shoot some groups and then either send it in or give it away to someone local who may enjoy shooting the 25s.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:58 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
Ammo prices are staying right around the $15-17 per box of 50. The new 15 grain will probably be a little higher because of the bullet type.
About double of recent HMR prices.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:06 AM

I think that Eric Mayer on here has dome some shooting and evaluation of the 17wsm but with a Ruger not a Bmag. The Bmag was so bad that I swore to not buy another Savage. Then they announced the A17 and I ordered one. Stupid thing to do. Savage has really hurt them self with the Bmag and the A17. For my money I would get an HMR and then jump to a 17hh or other reloadable center fire. If you have to replace the barrel, the trigger, the stock and the bolt just to shoot it, leave it alone. If Savage treats us - the customer - with such contempt as to sell us the likes of the Bmag and the A17 then leave them alone. Those could have been good guns, but Savage just cut too many corners and targeted an audience that doesn't know a good gun from a piece of junk. Sorry for the rant but Bmag and A17 bring out the worst in me. Burt
Old 07-07-2017, 04:15 PM

I bought a B Mag several years ago. The 20 grain bullets shot ok and the 25 grain bullets gave a perfect side profile at about 40 feet. That gun went back to Savage and they replaced it with another gun. This one shots awesome. 100 yard groups easily sub inch with the crappy scope that came with the gun from Savage. For PD application, that's good enough. Adds at least 100 yards to what an HMR can do. My son shot one at just under 300 yards.

The primary fault that I would have with the pencil barrel B Mag (I went the cheap route) is that they will heat up really fast on a warm day with a strong PD population. I don't always have the patience to wait.

I would rather shoot the 25s than the 20s. Personal preference and they do a nice job on the PDs. Probably go to a 17 Hornet someday, but just haven't got there yet. On a PD trip earlier this year, I took a "new to me" Anschutz in an HMR and had a blast. Early in the morning or after the wind has let up and under 150 yards, the HMR really does a job. Personally, I will use the WSM rather than the HMR. Ammo cost is an issue as the HMR ammo has really come down and the WSM hasn't kept up as well.

YMMV.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:37 AM
Supporting Member

bad news!

I haven't shot any groups but loaded it up with 20 gr vmax and while shots was no longer than 60 yards it was easy to consistently pick off apricots. Maybe it shoots better than I remember? The BSA 17 WSM scope has a really nice reticle but get glare off the eye piece. Might need to get a diff scope.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:53 AM
Supporting Member

Gary,

Call me later this week and I'll give you some tips, but I have to get some info regarding your rifle first.

Eric
Old 07-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Supporting Member

Sure will, and thanks Eric!