Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2017, 06:50 AM

Question Help with CZ 527 .17HH Setup

Well, after about a month of deciding between a 17WSM and a 17HH, the Hornet won out. I already have a Sako Quad Varmint wood stock and an Anschutz HB 1517 in 17HMR so I figured I'd be better off going with the 17HH.
I've decided on the CZ 527 Varmint and this will be my first ever CZ. I need some help because there are a few things that I'm confused about regarding the CZ.
First, being leg disabled, I bench shoot mostly and want to get a Calhoon single shot follower and a steel trigger guard. What confuses me after reading articles is the bolt handle & the scope mounts. I've got a Sightron SIII 6x24x50 30mm on hand so that's what I want to put on it. Will I need a new bolt handle?
Also, on nearly all my rifles, I use a Weaver style picatinny rails with Warne QD rings. It looks like this is out unless I used a DIP rail. What ring mounts would you recommend using this scope and what ring height? I do not shoot with my face buried into the stock, more so a little light cheek weld.
I'm a big fan of Warne & Talley mounts and also some Leupold's but I don't care a lot for Burris.
Thanks guys for any help & opinions you can give me. I really do appreciate it.

Jim D---
Old 07-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Supporting Member

If you are getting the Calhoon single shot follower also get his hunker mounts and modified bolt handle, I think you blokes can get a modifed one from CZ if your rifle is new it probably already has this bolt handle.

Johno
Old 07-14-2017, 11:35 AM

The 527's the past couple of years have a modified handle from the factory, I'd look at 30mm mounts that attach directly to the receiver if it were me but everyone has their druthers.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:22 PM

I have two CZ 527 Varmint models, one has Leupold medium rings that are specific for the 527's and the other has a DIP Inc pic rail with low Weaver rings, both use 30mm scopes. Can't really say that I like either setup any better than the other, the one with a pic rail gives you more options for ring choice but the one that uses the medium Leupold CZ 527 specific rings keeps the scope a little lower.

The bolt handle it comes with will be fine. Also, James Calhoon's hunker rings only come in 1in. scope tube size so they will not work for you.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Supporting Member

Default CZ 17HH Varmint

I have that rifle and it comes with the modified bolt handle already. I have Talley's on one of my rifles and Leupolds on the 17HH. Rifles that I own that came with the factory CZ's I've spun off the rings for a more polished look. You'll like the rifle, using factory fodder mine has never shot over .75" and after 50 rounds down it and a good cleaning it's closer to .5". Can't say I've ever owned a factory rifle shooting factory ammo that has been that capable.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:37 PM

One more thing to add, the CZ has a steel trigger guard already unless something has changed very recently. You should be fine with the factory bolt handle nowdays. In the past, I just took them to a grinding wheel to get enough clearance for the scope. I then reblued it after with the touch-up bluing but per above, the new ones should clear just fine.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:08 PM

Thanks fellows, I appreciate all of you.

I know all guns have their own personality, but in general what's the best factory ammo to use? Best weight bullet and powder for reloading? I've got a bunch of IMR4198, CFE BLACK, RL7, & X-Terminator.

I haven't made up my mind yet as to buying a bunch of factory ammo & shooting it for the brass or just start with new Hornady brass & start loading from scratch.

Thanks again,

Jim D---
SE Texas (on the coast)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:52 PM

Question 17HH brass:

I forgot to ask a question. I've read a lot that the new brass has some issues like primer pocket not deep enough & flash holes being off center.

Am I correct in assuming that if I buy new loaded ammo & shoot it for the brass, that these issues were corrected before Hornady loaded it?

Thanks,

Jim D
Old 07-15-2017, 04:42 AM
Supporting Member

Buy the factory ammo and shoot it. The new 25 grain HP offering comes in a box of #50 for around $26.00. #50 brass can be found for around $22.00 to $24.00.

AmmoSeek - Ammo:
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/17-hornet

AmmoSeek - Brass:
https://ammoseek.com/reloading/brass/17-hornet

The 20 grain offering can be found for around $15.00 a box of #25, so even that isn't that much more expensive for accurate, loaded, factory ammo.

Eric
Old 07-15-2017, 10:44 AM

I agree with Eric, the price of brass isn't enough lower than loaded ammo to go that way, so far I've had outstanding accuracy with the 20 gr. load and have a good bit of the 25 gr. to try out.