Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Default Stock for Model 7 Varmint Barrel

Sorry to RePete for hijacking his thread some so I thought I would start a new one.

Project:

Remington Model 7 Action (17FB)
Rock Creek .20 Cal Barrel (Rem Varmint Contour)

Going on the information from Rock Creek's site, here are the barrel specs.

________ _ 3″ __ 7″ ___ 26″
Rem Vmt 1.25″ 0.940″ 0.830″

I was looking at Boyd's Prairie Hunter with Magnum channel.
When I e-mailed them for specs, I got two different answer, neither of which look like it would work.

10" in front of lug .790
rear front of recoil lug 1.280

Rear, Front of recoil lug: 1.350
Front at 9in from recoil lug: .790

Might be able to get the channel opened up some as I would assume there is some meat on either side.

My other option is a HS Precision which would allow for a Rem # 3 contour, with the following specs:

________ 2.75″ __ 5″ ___ 26″
Rem Vmt 1.25″ 0.900″ 0.700″

Looks like a little opening might be needed, but not too bad.

Gun is going to be a .20 Vartarg and 99% shooting from bench on PDs and paper.

Any other suggestions/ideas/caveats on stocking this thing so that I can send it off to Bob Green ASAP?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Supporting Member

Default M7 stocks

Stocks for the model 7 have always been in short supply, or should I say there are not many options from the various manufacturers. If your using your M7 action to build a fat barreled custom your options just became fewer. If you like thumbhole stocks you could use one of the XR-100 stocks and just finish inletting for the bottom metal. I have a friend that built a 20 Bobcat off of a M7 and that's what he did. Another option is to see what Richards Microfit has in their specials/return's, although that would be my last resort unless your familiar with inletting. Last would be to buy a Boyds uninletted blank, that's what I did on a Rampro. I think I only paid around 65.00 for the uninletted stock and Kevin Weaver charged me an extra fee to inlet it since he was installing pillars and bedding it. I at least got the LOP I wanted. What your going through is exactly why I stay away from the M7's, the difference in action length is just not enough to lure me back to them.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-13-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Supporting Member

Chuck - Thank you for the insight and advice. And beautiful gun you have there!

After going back and forth on options, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and grab an HS Precision varmint model. The dimensions are so close and after looking at my other HS Precision stocks, There should be plenty for the barrel to fit without too much hassle.

Although a part of me wants to buy one of those Boyd's just for argument sake and if it doesn't work, I could always sell it.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 AM

Not cheap, but Manners and McMillian will inlet for a M7 with your choice of barrel contour. I'm sure Bob could also open up a channel in just about any stock.

Jon

XR-100 with MTU contour, McMillian A5 (same as a M7)

Last edited by StrombeckJ; 04-16-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Bell and Carlson makes a Medalist stock to fit the short action Model 7 - I have been eyeing it for some time and comparing them to the HS Precision offering. Both seem to offer the full aluminum bedding block that extends from the grip to the front swivel stud but the HS stock is about $100 more than the B&C (B&C is around $225).

I am in somewhat of a similar situation as you and currently have my stock Model 7 17FB in a Boyds thumbhole which I had to open up a little bit to fit my medium contour barrel (I have the Predator version). This I was able to do with no issues. Since then the rifle has shot some sub-1" groups, but also shot some more open 1" to 1.25" groups and I suspect my first stock inletting job may have room for improvement. A wise member here once told me to "remove all doubt" so I am debating paying a local 'smith to install pillars and bed this Boyds stock...or buy the B&C with that bedding block.

This is my rifle in the Boyds. I am satisfied with it appearance wise, just contemplating the bedding vs B&C bedding block since I'm poised to spend more money. I am interested in opinions on the bed vs. bedding block if the money is sort-of around the same?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Supporting Member

You guys sure know how to spend another man's money.

I knew I was with the right crowd! More sweet looking guns too.

Here is a good pic of the barrel channel on that B&C. I bet ole' Mr. Green could make it work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gets me thinking though, that with that "Magnum" channel the Boyd's has, it would have to have at least a little meat on each side to allow for a larger barrel.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

So I gotta give you a quick update.

Called Bob Green on the topic, I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday.

Talked about what I was trying to do, the barrel contour, the stock quandary, etc. He says, "Well you're not gonna believe this, but I have an HS Precision stock right here in my hands for a Model 7". I almost choked. He then took a Sendero contoured barrel, said it fit perfect in the barrel channel. He said it was brand new, although it had been sitting around awhile and might need a paint job. (Hello Dasherr!) He had his son take some pics with his phone and send them over. Sho' nuff, money!

So, off everything goes this week for a Bob Green special .20VT build. In a Bob Green "Green" HS Precision stock.

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together...