Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-19-2020, 04:39 PM
Supporting Member

Default New Air force pilot survival rifle.

The Air Force has recently started receiving more widespread delivery of a new M4-style carbine designed to break down small enough to fit under most pilot ejection seats. Below are a couple of links that show the rifle. Google will find you a a lot more pictures and information. Both links with decent pictures are from 2019, but the new rifle seems to be getting more press lately.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-survival-kits

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...nters-service/

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-19-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typing............
Old 02-21-2020, 03:04 PM

Hopefully it comes with ear plugs!
Old 02-21-2020, 03:13 PM

Get one for yourself.

http://cryhavoctac.com/index.html
Old 02-21-2020, 03:16 PM

Been around for a while and have been carried and tested for over a year, in some base's.. Like that Hog, they can even be bought on the open market. Bill K
Old 02-21-2020, 03:44 PM

This is a great use for this platform where minimal footprint is critical. The switch barrel locking ring came out a couple of years ago. As you can imagine the Prepper Group really liked the concept of super compact rifle with a 6" barrel that could be broken down and fit inside a backpack. There was even a video from manufacturer deploying this from his backpack and assembling and firing withing 5-10 seconds.

There are those whose game plan includes being equipped (more than a pistol) to take on long distance threats while at the mall with a 50 round drum mag. There is someone out there who is feeling proud and solid about his covert "Hello Kitty" backpack. It makes me think of the mall shootout in Commando... only if Arnold had one of these in his kids backpack.

I am just old enough to remember when it was common enough to see a rifle/shotgun and a walking stick displayed in the rear widow of pickup trucks in Houston. Times have changed... Beware of adult men with "Hello Kitty" backpacks... half-cocked, Ready for Anything, and secretly hoping for the Zombie Apocalypse?!

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 02-21-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=Oso Polaris;

I am just old enough to remember when it was common enough to see a rifle/shotgun and a walking stick displayed in the rear widow of pickup trucks in Houston. Times have changed...

Oh yes, every pickup had a gun rack in the rear window, shotgun, rifle and often a fishing rod. Ready for anything. We even had a gun in the rack on school parking lots, when we were in class, and never, and I mean never was one ever stolen. Those days are, for sure, long gone. Bill K
Old 02-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Been around for a while and have been carried and tested for over a year, in some base's.. Like that Hog, they can even be bought on the open market. Bill K
They've actually been around for several years in limited trials. They were finally issued to some groups after considerable small unit testing in late 2018/early 2019 as the dates on the two links that I provided show. As for the breakdown ability for storage, the civilian market just about always precedes the military market in terms of small arms development. The military traditionally relies on the civilian market to provide new ideas for the path forward.

Its just good to see a bit more firepower being given to pilots in case of a shoot-down. The days of the 38 special revolver and floatable break down 22LR chambered rifles have passed (also issued for the most part without ear plugs, btw).

I too remember pick up trucks at high school with gun racks in the rear window. And very few of the pick up trucks were ever locked back then.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-21-2020 at 05:12 PM.