Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-14-2022, 05:37 PM

Default Probably Off Topic but…

Not particularly small caliber related but I have a question that someone might have the answer to.

With the traveling situation being what it is (gas prices, covid, etc) I find myself shooting many more pistol rounds than rifle rounds over the last couple of years. As a result, my small pistol primer supply is starting to dwindle somewhat.

Have any of you had much experience substituting small rifle primers for small pistol primers? I know that the cups are a little thicker / harder than pistol primers but I wonder how significant that is. The T/C Contender's ignition system seems to handle pistol, small rifle and small rifle magnum primers with no problems. This leads me to believe that I could safely (and maybe, reliably?) use small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers for practice ammo. I use only factory ammo for carry purposes so 100% reliability isn’t absolutely necessary.

I have tested several empty cases with small rifle primers in both my Sig P365 and H&K P30SK with 100% reliable ignition in a very limited test. How about it? Am I missing something that could be a problem? Just looking forward to the day when I may have to begin improvising to keep loading. I can’t bring myself to pay today’s asking price for primers.

I appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 06-14-2022, 06:35 PM

I use SRP in 22 hornet 270 REN and in 22TCM pretty small cases, not saying I have ever made the mistake humm..... I have grabbed a box of primers loaded and then realized I did use the wrong primer a time or two over the last 45+ years of loading. I remember a well known writer suggest back of 1 full grain
Old 06-15-2022, 04:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Use 'em and don't worry about trivial things

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-15-2022, 05:11 AM

I have done it the other way around testing small pistol primers for use in small rifle cartridges. Aside from primer cup thickness, the pistol primers tended to be a little hotter/faster (additional 25fps-45fps). Using standard small rifle primers shouldn't be a problem. If you plan on using CCI 41 you might load up a few test rounds to see if the extra cup thickness causes any ignition issues for your pistols.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:40 PM

This is a very common thing among competition pistol shooters (USPSA) who shoot thousands of pistol rounds a year. I know of more than a few shooters (myself included) who like to keep things easy by buying small rifle primers and then using them in handgun rounds (.40 and 9mm major/38 super) and .223.

Yes this can cause some issues due to them being harder than SP primers but I use them in hammer fired pistols (1911/2011) which have less issues. Striker fired pistols can have ignition issues with SR primers but you just have to try them and find out. There are no issues with pressure or loadings, they don't make much of a difference.

Since I also load for lots of other caliber's (.32/380/.38 spl) that use small primers I tend to keep a few K of regular SP around for those.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:49 PM

I tried using SR primers in my S&W M-14 pistol a long, long time ago. They would fire with the hammer all the way back in SA mode, but when using DA ignition was sporadic. As stated earlier, best to load a few rounds and see if your pistol is reliable with SR primers,
Old 06-15-2022, 03:09 PM

You can run into accuracy issues with hard cups. I've seen it fairly regularly. It depends on the striking force of the firing pin. Some guns just don't give a solid enough blow to use the same primer that works in the same make and model of gun for someone else. Sometimes if the gun is cleaned it takes care of the issue, sometimes if the tension if the main spring is increased it is taken care of. I had a good friend who was a nationally ranked handgun silhouette shooter and he had a lot of experience with that issue.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:09 PM

Kind of what I thought but wanted to check with the cumulative knowledge here. Thanks for the replies!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member