Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-01-2022, 10:36 PM

B23, know what you mean. I began in the 20 calibers with the 20 VT, but then went to a 20 SCC for that slight increase in FPS.
Then I built up a 20 practical, but then changed it over to a 20 Tactical.
Also have a 204 ruger and a 20-223 Ai.
Why switch as I did, just for fun and the fact I enjoy the improved cases.
I am now working with a 20 VTT, for the same reason, an increase over the FPS of the 20 VT & 20 SCC.
They all get taken out and shot at the pivots and rock chucks and rabbits and even on called coyotes.
Is one better than the other, that is up to the person using them, as with any other cartridge then/we want to play with.
Each has a place and they all are fun as heck.

I rarely shoot factory ammo in the other rifles and calibers I have, as I just enjoy reloading and forming and loading my own ammo, as I have since I started this hobby in and around 1953 with reloading and a 30-06.
I still pull out and shoot other 17, 224, 6mm, 6.5, 257 and 375 caliber rifles I have. I love playing with a few 17 cal and they get runs along with the 20 cal, very often.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
B23, know what you mean. I began in the 20 calibers with the 20 VT, but then went to a 20 SCC for that slight increase in FPS.
Then I built up a 20 practical, but then changed it over to a 20 Tactical.
Also have a 204 ruger and a 20-223 Ai.
Why switch as I did, just for fun and the fact I enjoy the improved cases.
I am now working with a 20 VTT, for the same reason, an increase over the FPS of the 20 VT & 20 SCC.
They all get taken out and shot at the pivots and rock chucks and rabbits and even on called coyotes.
Is one better than the other, that is up to the person using them, as with any other cartridge then/we want to play with.
Each has a place and they all are fun as heck.

I rarely shoot factory ammo in the other rifles and calibers I have, as I just enjoy reloading and forming and loading my own ammo, as I have since I started this hobby in and around 1953 with reloading and a 30-06.
I still pull out and shoot other 17, 224, 6mm, 6.5, 257 and 375 caliber rifles I have. I love playing with a few 17 cal and they get runs along with the 20 cal, very often.
I know what you mean. A trip to the range always includes my 20 Extreme. Of all the others that I have it is one that I truly enjoy shooting. Likely brought on by the cost effectiveness of the round (cheap to shoot). 21.2 grains of 8208 or 18.6 grains of H4198 = a lot of rounds per pound of powder. I think you guys down south are in better shape for component availability but it is terrible to find parts now. Primers are the hot ticket item right now with the prices more than doubling in the past year!
I built my 20 with the 55 grain Berger in mind and was extremely disappointed when Berger discontinued them. Then I discovered that I could shoot the 40's with the same accuracy, still kill coyotes effectively and they area lot cheaper than the 55's. But with the fast twist barrel 40 is as low as I can shoot, 32's keyhole or blow up on the way. For the Sako I'll likely put on a 9 or 10 twist, probably 10.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

Default .20 Bobcat

Don't forget the .20 Bobcat. Kevin built me a repeater on a Sako 75.

http://weaverrifles.com/CustomCartri...t/20Bobcat.htm

ML
Old 08-03-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
Don't forget the .20 Bobcat. Kevin built me a repeater on a Sako 75.

http://weaverrifles.com/CustomCartri...t/20Bobcat.htm

ML
Nice looking rifle and I had forgot about the Bobcat. It is a sweet one also.
Thanks for the photos and info.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:32 PM

I talked to Kevin about building one of his 20 Bobcat's, referenced it in my first post but called in Kevin's 20-222 improved with 40° shoulder, but ended up hitting the easy button and doing a straight 20-222.

Kevin's 20 Bobcat is a hot looking little cartridge with it's 40° shoulder angle.

When I was accumulating supplies for a 20-222 build Kevin told me to get some H322 and about any of the 40 grainers or 39gr BK's and around 22.5-23.5gr of H322 would have me shooting tiny little groups in no time. He was spot on because 22.5 H322 with a 40gr Berger shoots crazy good in my rifle.

The pic of that 20 Bobcat on Kevin's webpage is what inspired me to build mine the way I did. His has a much nicer piece of wood than mine does and mine is built on a Rem 700 but I always liked how the Rem 700 BDL Custom Deluxe rifles looked so I tried to replicate one of those with my 20-222 build. Kind of a resto mod recreation.

Last edited by B23; 08-03-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:11 AM

Here are some details on my 20-Thul (20-222). Kiff made the reamer. I like and use Norma and Graff & Son has brass made by Privi which is also good stuff. I Trim the neck down 85 thous. using a new style Guirad trimmer. I bought an extra die holder for my old Dillon 650 and bought 5 Redding S type dies. I like to use several steps in necking down the brass. Brass prep is a breeze. Plain jane Redding S Type sizer with a Wilson straight line 222 seater is what I use. Been working on this cartridge for a few yrs now. Found out a 12 twist using Ramshot Extermintator and 35 gr Bergers will get me 3800 plus fps w/amazing accuracy. This combo has worked in several other builds. Ive had my gunsmith build 5 of these now. A few buddies needed one also. The little Howa mini action works well especially if you buy the Jefferson Bottom metal. I also use the same reamer and a 9 twist built on Tikka T3's. Berger 55 grainers with CFE seems to be the powder in the 3 rifles built. I'm getting around 3200 fps with these. Graf & Son has the tips. I love love love this set up ! Theres just something about the 222 case that has always intrigued me.

Last edited by Wyoming Drifter; 08-04-2022 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Drifter View Post
Here are some details on my 20-Thul (20-222). Kiff made the reamer. I like and use Norma and Graff & Son has brass made by Privi which is also good stuff. I Trim the neck down 85 thous. using a new style Guirad trimmer. I bought an extra die holder for my old Dillon 650 and bought 5 Redding S type dies. I like to use several steps in necking down the brass. Brass prep is a breeze. Plain jane Redding S Type sizer with a Wilson straight line 222 seater is what I use. Been working on this cartridge for a few yrs now. Found out a 12 twist using Ramshot Extermintator and 35 gr Bergers will get me 3800 plus fps w/amazing accuracy. This combo has worked in several other builds. Ive had my gunsmith build 5 of these now. A few buddies needed one also. The little Howa mini action works well especially if you buy the Jefferson Bottom metal. I also use the same reamer and a 9 twist built on Tikka T3's. Berger 55 grainers with CFE seems to be the powder in the 3 rifles built. I'm getting around 3200 fps with these. Graf & Son has the tips. I love love love this set up ! Theres just something about the 222 case that has always intrigued me.
So your 20 thul case is just the 222 case necked to 20, but you trim the neck down 85 thousands ??? Is that correct of a misprint ?
Old 08-04-2022, 09:58 PM

Yes thats all it is. I played around with the 20 vartarg and 20 vartarg turbo but, To me theres too much case prep compared to what I'm doing here. Plus I hate fireforming. I've been happy since the day I shot the first test rifle.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Drifter View Post
Yes thats all it is. I played around with the 20 vartarg and 20 vartarg turbo but, To me theres too much case prep compared to what I'm doing here. Plus I hate fireforming. I've been happy since the day I shot the first test rifle.
Only asking because I'm curious no other reason but what do you believe the benefit/s are of a 20-222 with a 85 thou shorter neck versus a straight necked down 20-222 with no other altercations to the case except necking it down?
Old 08-05-2022, 11:11 AM

Like I said. I played around with the Vartarg Turbo and between PTG Dave Kiff and myself designing the reamer we took into consideration that Kindler had success with trimming .75 thous off the Turbo. He also changed the the angle of the shoulder which shortened the length of the neck even more. My neck is actually 20 thous longer than the Turbo. The 222 case has the reputation of inherent accuracy. I seen no reason to mess with the shoulder angle at this point. I never have ran across a reason for the 222 neck to be so long. If nothing else, to me, it's aesthetically a better looking cartridge. I eventually had Manson Reamers make me another Chamber reamer and go gauge. I have no need for my Ruger 204 anymore. I surpassed the velocity with using up to 4 grains less powder. Im happy with how the project turned out. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures on here.