Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2022, 09:34 PM

Default Re Blaine Eddy video

Again a ton of thanks to DAA and the supplier of the vid for Dave to work w.
I almost bought one early 2000s. Decided to make my own, never got around to it before selling the mill.
For those that were following, copying diameters, l had a gap at the ".224 hole".
l figured .224 + xxx for around .256,7,8 and it was verified at very end w screen shot of a plate @ .257.

The only other thing that caught my eye was #4 hole at .305. My thought, in keeping w Blaine's progressions would be around 5/16 / .3125.

Case holding / Centering.

IF and this is a big one - when machining the threaded shaft that the case holder fits, put a nub a thou or two under size of a primer hole to center the case.....ONLY....IF THE PRIMER RECESSES ARE CONCENTRIC ! If not, then trial n error as Blaine demonstrated.
Hardening the parts would take some cogitation in deciding machining sequence. Would some tough 50Rc be sufficient? Thread? Thread grinding 60+ Rc isn't usually readily available. Blanchard ground plate stock?
Glass of peach tea, easy chair.......Just thinking.

Again MANY THANKS.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:36 PM

Anyone know of a print or drawing of the plate ? I asked a local machinist about making one and he asked for a drawing .
Old 08-12-2022, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Anyone know of a print or drawing of the plate ? I asked a local machinist about making one and he asked for a drawing .
...or does anyone have one of Blaine's original plates?
Old 08-12-2022, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Not really a problem. Blaine had 6 holes per row. Space them out 1" center to center, decide what chamfer/shoulder angle you need (30°, 35°, 40°). The distance across top of chamfer can be slightly smaller than largest cartridge base dimension. This would cover an AI situation where it is blown out.

If going into production, the plate can be made smaller if the holes are staggered.....
The bugaboo for production is having to set up the volume of drills, chamfering when centered. This prevents stacking when drilling.
This can be overcome by fixturing with two dowels requiring reamed holes in the fixtures....an elegant solution.
Orrr just slap the stack & clamp to two solid 90°sides in the mill, punch the holes, chamfer, pull top plate, clamp and rerun the chamfer cycle till it's time to load a fresh stack.
The no dowel/ream fixture is a no brainer. The major cost would be the plate. W/o trigging it, swag is 7/16" ? I already forget what Blaine suggested.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:51 AM

I may have one of his plates, I’ll check tomorrow. Thanks.

Bryan