Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Unhappy OT: 6MM Remington Issue

You can read the whole ordeal here: http://www.predatormastersforums.com...2203587&page=1

I know we have some resident gunsmiths here so just looking for additional input before I take any action.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

You've certainly got headspace problems.
Since that's a Classic rifle and it shoots so well.
Like the last poster said: Pack up your cases & the gun & take it for a visit
to your best local 'smith for his advice and costs to fix it.

How long have you had the rifle? How many owners before you?
I ran into problems that took six months with a Cooper that was hashed to death on this board awhile back. After dealing with Cooper I'll never do business with their shop again. Whether I buy another Cooper or not remains to be seen also. But, they did fix it at N/C and I was the third owner and it had original barrel set back and rechambered so they did work that really wasn't up to them to do in all honesty. Though they'd also had the gun in their shop for the same problem in the past.

I've had problems with Blackhawks and Ruger took care of things quick enough on them. Only thing I didn't like was they did keep my original hammer & trigger assy when putting the safely bar improvement in and also swapped the steel grip frame for a painted aluminum frame which on an old model drops the value a bunch imo.
With this info, you can see they'll most likely just send you a new rifle with the garbage on the barrel you don't want. IF this don't help you decide, flip a coin and good luck.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-21-2012, 03:50 AM

The bulged case is not a headspace issue ,headspace has to do with lenght .What has happened is the chamber reamer was not on center when the chamber was cut . If the reamer is off center by only .005 of an inch it will cut a chamber .010 of an inch too large . ---- .005 on on side of the chamber , the barrel is turned it cut .005 on the other side of the chamber . Whatever the offset is it will be doubled .

The barrel can be set back and rechambered and it should be ok .

Other possiblities it was cut with a reamer ground a little large .

Chris
Old 04-21-2012, 04:03 AM

I built a 250 savage years ago and had brass that looked the same after firing . I chased my set up several times and finally found the problem was that Saami specs on the chamber reamer and the specs on the brass were not very tight tolerances .

I spent some time wondering why the brass bulged on one side .A reamer manufacture and I spent some time conversing and we decided the bulge on one side maybe from one or two causes .

1 / the brass lays in the bottom of the chamber and when fired it expands on one side
or
2/ brass may have a weaker side and that is the side it bulges on .

Just theory
Chris
Old 04-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Supporting Member

If it is a rifle you plan to put a lot of rounds thru. I would have it rechambered only if that is recommended by your smith.
You could shoot it as is although it will be hard on brass.
I am guessing at least an inch needs to come off to get past the bulge.
I would think that rifle come out of the factory like that.
If Ruger will fix it. let them. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM

Default 6mm

Looking at the cases I think [?] even setting the barrel bac a bit it is going to take a lot to get past the bulge. Idea! Perhaps mich the bulge and, if it is somewhat below the .500 mark it could be rechambered into a 6mm-284. I did this for a guy who has a Remington 700 BDL in 6mm and he has been very happy with it...just a thought. Good luck.
Aloha, Mark
Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicero View Post
I would think that rifle come out of the factory like that.
If Ruger will fix it. let them. Kenny
The more I think about it and weigh in everyone's feedback, I think that might be the best option.

I bought this as a "budget" 6MM for maybe shooting some coyotes and really don't want to dump crazy amount of money into it. (Good money into bad)

Caveat Emptor when buying used guns. Although, I honestly don't think the seller had any intention to deceive on this one.

I'll call Ruger tomorrow or Tuesday and see what they advise. If they don't want to help, I think a setback would be me preferred option or a complete rebarrel as a last resort.