Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2012, 05:24 AM

Default I ordered a Browning

A-Bolt 22 Hornet and am constantly counting the days untill the shipment turns up.Then I saw a 22 mag Browning come up on an Aussie abused guns site.I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with one good or bad.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Default Browning A Bolt .22 mag

I had one years ago. Was a very good gun in all respects. I got stupid and traded it for a Ruger 77 22 mag, which was a huge step backwards.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

A word of warning (I was warned but didn’t listen) if you plan on converting it to a different cartridge then DON’T shoot it.
It will only make it harder to send it off to have it cannibalized into something else.
Fortunately my gunsmith did a beautiful job (thank you Bob Green) and I like it even more now.
Loads I had loaded up for another hornet shot little teeny-weeny groups at 100 yards. Components used were 35gr VMax, VV-N120, Rem 6 1/2 primers and Win brass. This combo of components seems to shoot very well in all my Hornet rifles. Only my Anschutz shot better but then its barrel was well conditioned and broken-in where the A-Bolts barrel was new and not broken in.
It had great promise as a 22 Hornet but alas I bought it to convert to a 17AH. So off to the surgeon it went with great anguish.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Smile What Larry said!

And so has everyone that has bought a 22Hornet A-bolt Micro Hunter. There were no flies on the older Micro Medallion either.

Pete Hauer recommends that you should not tell anyone how good the Micro Hunter 22H shoots with Hornady factory 35 gr. VMax bullet, as forever after anyone who reads your post will be sure you are a consumate liar!

5 local guys (central VA area) have bought these rifles and most refuse to handload for them the factory stuff shoots so well, saying that the improvement in accuracy is marginal at most. The ones that have had these 17AH'd by Bob Green have all ended up buying a second one for this dirty deed.

15 years ago, a Micro Medallion taught me to handload. Was a long journey, with me using Winchester 42 gr soft point factory stuff (that would consistantly shoot .8 MOA) to make sure it was my loads and not me that was shooting so bad. Finally found a load that would shoot 0.5 MOA 5 shot groups consistantly with a 3-9/40 scope. JoeNiv has this gun now and claims it comes out of the safe first when he heads out PD shooting. After a long hietus (sp?), I bought a Micro Hunter a few years ago to replace it. The 35 gr VMax wasn't available at the time I let the MM go west to Omaha.... my loads were all 40 gr. VMaxes and H110.

Sonny Pruitt (Pruson) shot 150 groundhogs with his Bob Green 17AH conversion a coupla years back. Also says it is the best "fox" gun he has ever had.

Good Choice.

Alex
Old 06-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
And so has everyone that has bought a 22Hornet A-bolt Micro Hunter. There were no flies on the older Micro Medallion either.

Pete Hauer recommends that you should not tell anyone how good the Micro Hunter 22H shoots with Hornady factory 35 gr. VMax bullet, as forever after anyone who reads your post will be sure you are a consumate liar!

5 local guys (central VA area) have bought these rifles and most refuse to handload for them the factory stuff shoots so well, saying that the improvement in accuracy is marginal at most. The ones that have had these 17AH'd by Bob Green have all ended up buying a second one for this dirty deed.

15 years ago, a Micro Medallion taught me to handload. Was a long journey, with me using Winchester 42 gr soft point factory stuff (that would consistantly shoot .8 MOA) to make sure it was my loads and not me that was shooting so bad. Finally found a load that would shoot 0.5 MOA 5 shot groups consistantly with a 3-9/40 scope. JoeNiv has this gun now and claims it comes out of the safe first when he heads out PD shooting. After a long hietus (sp?), I bought a Micro Hunter a few years ago to replace it. The 35 gr VMax wasn't available at the time I let the MM go west to Omaha.... my loads were all 40 gr. VMaxes and H110.

Sonny Pruitt (Pruson) shot 150 groundhogs with his Bob Green 17AH conversion a coupla years back. Also says it is the best "fox" gun he has ever had.

Good Choice.

Alex
Absolutely right. I bought one in left hand to convert to 17 AH. Shoots so good it is still a 22 Hornet. I load the 40 grain BK, 12.6 of Lil"gun in WW brass with Fed small pistol primers. Cost about the same to load 50 as 50 17 HMR and have much better range and smakage. 3150 FPS. Will average well under an inch at 200 yards, and have shot some .3 groups with it at 200 yards.

Bought a 17 FB soon as they came out, so now I have a nice quiet 17 and still have the great shooting Hornet. You will love
Old 06-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Supporting Member

Default Original post

L461, not sure what your costs are for one of the rimfire A-Bolts but I think pretty highly of them for what you pay. Having said that I have 2, one an original 22lr and the other is a custom 17HM2. I just sold a 22mag that was like new and I got 450.00 for it, not sure if I left any on the table? My original 22lr I paid 350.00 and the custom 17hm2 sports a Pacnor barrel and came with a Leupold 3x9 for 700.00, so 500.00 minus scope and rings. Once you hold one and check it out it's a lot of rifle for the cost, no plastic, short bolt throw, one of the slickest feeding rimfires I've ever shot. I'm not a big Browning fan and they(4) don't reside for long in my safes but the little A-Bolts have wiggled their way in and are here for the long haul. What kind of pocket change are they asking for the 22mag?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:34 PM

Default Chuck

They are asking $850 AUD down here you could get a very good Anshutz 1415-1516 for that kind of money
Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Supporting Member

Default A-Bolt vs Annie

I would think that has more to do with scarcity rather than value. From what I see here the Annie will usually bring 2-250 more in selling price in 22mag if your talking A-Bolt vs Annie 64.