Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-23-2016, 02:52 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up Can someone explain this to me? Rem591 17AH

What is this "plate" for? Is it because it's a rimfire action shooting a centerfire?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/585642350

Old 09-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Supporting Member

Eagle view will be on scene quick.

Adam
Old 09-23-2016, 04:22 PM

The recoil must be violent to require three scope rings!!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 09-23-2016, 04:23 PM

Didn't Remington quit make the 590 series because of pressure problems? I wasn't overly impressed with the one I took apart, IMO 5mm is the upper limit.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
The recoil must be violent to require three scope rings!!
Check out the scope base. It's a cantilever style with only one attach point.
I like the sunshade install. Good for shooting rats in the weld shop. Gets awful bright in there.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:00 PM

Looks like it was the hole to insert a magazine.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:30 PM

Default Can someone explain this to Me ?

I am just guessing, maybe a clean out cover, at such. Bill K
Old 09-23-2016, 06:41 PM

Good Morning all. Never buy a M591 Or M592 without this plate & all 4 screws

The first M591 & 592 rifles just had a spring sheet metal cover that protected the left hand primary extractor and ejector spring. It is still there under this cover plate.

The first LH extractors were also very weak and subject to breakage. These rifles have both a left hand and a right hand extractor.

The 5MM Rimfire Magnum fires at 33,000 PSI and will rupture unless it is fully contained by solid steel. This is why Remington quit making them and nobody else would. I know, I tried.

Since the LH extractor also formed part of the chamber, when they broke and part was lost, it left a 3/16" wide slot in the left hand side of the chamber. When the rifle was then shot the spring steel cover plate would blow out of the receiver usually as shrapnel and if the shooter was right handed could and did put out the shooters left eye.

Remington recalled all these rifles and replaced the extractor with a more solid design and then put this heat treated metal plate over the top to keep and forces from blowing out the left side of the action. All the rifles made after the recall had this same "Fix" applied to them. It looks like a patch and it is one.

There are still rifles out there that were not sent back to Remington to fix and they will no longer repair them. if YOU HAVE ONE TAKE IT TO A GOOD GUNSMITH and have him call me if he does not know how to deal with this.

The centerfire versions of this cartridge are much safer because of the solid rim and cartridge web. It is my opinion that if Remington had brought this out as a centerfire in the first place we would have had lots of choices of rifles and handguns to shoot it from.

I have turned in my FFL and am no longer doing gun work but I am more than willing to help any shooter or gunsmith that has questions about these rifles.

As far as it being converted to 17 Ackley Hornet, it means that it has a new barrel so the slotted chamber is most likely gone and it may be only using the right hand extractor, I an not sure how they rigged the ejector . I am having trouble with my internet this morning and have not been able to look at the auction yet but will. With six locking lugs and if the bolt head has been pinned it should work OK but the workmanship is so very important on any modified rifle. Just got Gun Broker open, It is a very interesting rifle. It is a 591 action and the magazine opening has been blocked with a Nylon plug. They may have opened the ejection port some also and have threaded the action and barrel.

Most of what I wrote above is about using these rifles in their original 5MM Remington Rimfire Magnum and cartridge and would not pertain to this rifle as modified.
Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON

Last edited by Eagle_view; 09-23-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

That is excellent information. Thank you for taking the time to responding. I had not seen anything like that before and I know with a caliber like the .17AH this would be the place to get info.

Again, many thanks Eagle_view.