Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2017, 02:30 PM

Default Sako L461 HB Profile?

The rifle is in the back of the safe so I thought I'd ask before digging it out and measuring...

Is there a factory or aftermarket contour for a new barrel blank that approximates the factory Sako L461 heavy/varmint profile? Can't remember ever seeing a Sako Varmint listed. I know that most makers will do custom contours but I might be able to save a bit if I can use an off the shelf contour. I know the shank diameter is smaller than the typical M700 diameter, but how about the small shank savage?
Old 06-03-2017, 03:45 PM

Thinking of re-barreling it? It's a vixen, what caliber? I love Sako's.

Jim D---
Old 06-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Supporting Member

Any decent barrel maker or smith should be able to duplicate the factory contour very easily and for not much money.

If you're rebarreling a Sako, do it right and don't cut corners. You'll be much happier in the long run.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-03-2017, 04:10 PM

If it's of a certain caliber & in great condition, you might be able to sell it for enough to finance a new barrel, action, stock, and the work.

They're not a 461, but I've been searching for a Sako Heavy Varmint in 7mm-08.
*** They didn't make many & are super rare. I've been looking & searching for 2 years.
*** I passed one up in 98% condition for $1500 2 1/2 years ago and been sick about it ever since.

Jim D---

Last edited by Swift220; 06-03-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
The rifle is in the back of the safe so I thought I'd ask before digging it out and measuring...

Is there a factory or aftermarket contour for a new barrel blank that approximates the factory Sako L461 heavy/varmint profile? Can't remember ever seeing a Sako Varmint listed. I know that most makers will do custom contours but I might be able to save a bit if I can use an off the shelf contour. I know the shank diameter is smaller than the typical M700 diameter, but how about the small shank savage?
May want to check out the Sako factory contours offered by Lilja.
http://riflebarrels.com/factory-contours/
Old 06-03-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift220 View Post
Thinking of re-barreling it? It's a vixen, what caliber? I love Sako's.

Jim D---
I've got four L461's. An original sporter 222 I probably won't mess with, single shot action with Hart barrel in .222 I won't mess with until it needs a new tube, 222 Mag w/ varmint weight barrel in custom Schnabel stock I may re-barrel and lastly a repeater in 17-222 Improved Something or Other that may need a new barrel if I can't save it. I like the look of the Sako Varmint barrel in the varmint stocks. The 222 Mag shoots fine but I have a ton of .223 LC brass and it won't do much that a standard .223 or an AI will. Don't want to mess with the factory barrel so I'd replace it instead of setting back. I've talked about the .17 before. Someone ran some sort of AI reamer in (poorly) and didn't mark the barrel. If I can manage to create brass for the current chamber or set back to 17FB great, other-wise the tube goes into the garden and I'll screw on a new .17 since I have dies and components. If I can turn down the shank of an off the shelf taper to approximate the Sako HB it may save some work/time/$$. Was thinking of trying the X-caliber barrels to keep the cost down.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:41 PM

Default Profiling?

Profiling manually, is a very time consuming job. This is borne out by the charge over a straight tube. I can personally attest to the punji pits awaiting if you "try to make a little time" if a fair amt of material needs to come off.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post

I have had Sako heavy barrel profiles made by Broughton, Kreiger, Lilja, and Pacnor in .243, .224, .204, and .204 respectively. I believe Pacnor and Lilja have the contours programmed. For Broughton and Kreiger I had to give them the dimentions. If I remember correctly it is ~ 1.060" tapering to .860" at 23.5" for the AI style varminter.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 06-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Sako rebarrel

I've had three custom barrels made for my Sako L461 actions, all Krieger. One is a Varmint .890" muzzle and the other two are heavy sporters tapering to .760" muzzle. I ordered all to finish at 26" and then had them cut to desired length when chambered. You will wind up with different tapers after cutting and some barrel channel work to properly fit a custom barrel. I ordered 1.100 shank for the little action. Two are Fireballs and one 20 Vartarg. By the way, these were all just actions that I bought not complete rifles. When you can sell a complete rifle for $1000, I just couldn't get myself to break up a rifle. Then of course if the barrel is gone a custom barrel is a great way to go.

Last edited by L Cazador; 06-04-2017 at 12:21 PM.