Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-15-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
Very nice Sako find!!.........AND in a sweet cartridge. The classic style is not generally seen very often.

BTW.....Sako did make target triggers, that go down to about 4 ounces, for the A series receivers. From the factory, they were usually only seen on PPC-BR rifles.......but I've seen them on 17 and 223 AI-HB repeater varmint rifles.

In the past, the triggers were sold separately.

Here's a pic of one of mine.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Kevin, your post interested me. I have a new Sako A1 6 PPC heavy barrel model. The shipping carton has the Varmint box checked off, but has the word "Bench" written beside that.

It has the same trigger you've shown in your post--what Sako terms "Target Trigger." I've worked on this trigger to see how light I can get it (while still safe), and about the best I can do is about 10-11 oz. It came with a separate sheet--along with the usual Sako instruction sheet--titled "Adjustment of the Target Trigger." The instructions use some unusual (to me anyway) terms like "adjusting the length of free pull." I played with that one ("Screw B" on this sheet) until the sear failed to be picked up by the cocking piece and then went back to a point where it cocked properly each time.

I then worked on "Screw C", which is the "Adjustment of trigger pull" or weight of pull screw. I backed this screw out, and the pull weight dropped as I did so. When I completely removed the screw, the weight of pull was about 6 oz., but it failed to cock on some tries. After re-installing the screw, I cranked it back up to the point where the sear was being picked up by the cocking piece reliably. That's the point where the weight of pull sat at 10-11 oz.

I noticed that "Screw A", which appears to be the sear engagement screw (termed "Adjustment of sear"), was unmovable--probably made that way at the factory.

Is there anything you can add to my attempts to improve this trigger? You said in your post that this trigger was made to go down to about 4 oz. Have you been able to get yours down to that weight? And, if so, how did you do it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by South Pender; 02-15-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I was looking around a few minutes ago and found this:

https://bulletcentral.com/product-ca...ents/triggers/

An excellent price on Bix'n Andy triggers for Rem 700 actions compared to what they went for not too long ago........ Still very pricey for Sako rifles.

Hmmmmm.............

-BCB
Just to add to your thoughts: I'm not sure that the Bix'n Andy is worth the extra dollars (like about $250-$300 more than a Jewell). Evidently, the serious benchrest guys think so. The B&A can be adjusted down to less than 1 oz., and all reports indicate that they are phenomenally consistent at whatever weight they're set at.

I have a number of Jewells on my rifles and can get a very-consistent 1.5 oz., and that's good enough for all of my needs.

One of my reservations (about the only one) about Sako rifles (L- and A-series; those preceding the 75s and 85s) is the lack of a really good aftermarket trigger. (B&A do make triggers for the Sako 75s and 85s, but not for the L- and A-series actions.) I got very lucky a couple of years ago and found for sale a used Canjar single-set trigger designed for L- and A-series Sakos. I installed it on my other Sako 6 PPC, a sporter-weight repeater on the A1 action. That one goes down to about 1.5 oz. in set mode, but breaks cleanly at about 2.5 lbs. in unset mode.

Last edited by South Pender; 02-15-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:13 AM
Supporting Member

Even though I do shoot PD's at every opportunity, I'm more of a hunter than a BR shooter at this stage of my life so having a trigger that breaks in ounces is not a big thing for me . A trigger in the 2.5-3.0 pound range that breaks crisply and consistently is all I need or want.

The Sako target trigger does look interesting, however.

Just me - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-15-2019, 04:45 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
Very nice Sako find!!.........AND in a sweet cartridge. The classic style is not generally seen very often.

BTW.....Sako did make target triggers, that go down to about 4 ounces, for the A series receivers. From the factory, they were usually only seen on PPC-BR rifles.......but I've seen them on 17 and 223 AI-HB repeater varmint rifles.

In the past, the triggers were sold separately.

Here's a pic of one of mine.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Interesting on the target triggers in non A1 22 and 6ppc rifles. Do the non target model guns you have seen have the hole in the trigger guard to adjust the triggers?

I have a few Canjar single sets I need to install in my sako rifles, once I get my new shop " gun area" finished I hope to finally get the spare stocks and triggers installed in my sako's.
Allen
Old 02-16-2019, 01:37 PM
Supporting Member

The weather cooperated yesterday so I got out and shot a box of Winchester 140 grain factory ammo through the Sako. As expected, it performed very well. Function and feeding were both flawless, and the older AO scope seemed to work fine in all respects. It was very clear at both 100 and 200 dialed yards on those two berms on the range. It focused fine at longer yardages, but I had no other known distance references to confirm the scope with beyond 200 yards.

Since I only had 20 rounds of loaded ammo with me, I got the scope, which I had bore sighted, on paper for me, and on target and confirmed "close enough for now" at 100 yards with the first five shots. After that, I shot 3-five shot groups with the rifle. All were very nice cloverleaf looking groups with some holes touching but not all holes touching in any of the three groups. However, there were no "fliers" in the groups either and all holes were within the space of 1" squares on the target.

I'm a fan of Sierra hunting bullets, and the rifle will get 130 grain green tipped BT Game King bullets for its first serious hunting offering. I don't plan to ever hunt anything bigger than deer, etc., with the rifle, so a 6.5 heavy bullet isn't needed. Longer and heavier is where the 264 Win Mag shines.

All in all, I made a very good quick "non-mentored" decision last week............. Once again, life is good.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-16-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:42 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Pender View Post
Just to add to your thoughts: I'm not sure that the Bix'n Andy is worth the extra dollars (like about $250-$300 more than a Jewell). Evidently, the serious benchrest guys think so. The B&A can be adjusted down to less than 1 oz., and all reports indicate that they are phenomenally consistent at whatever weight they're set at.

I have a number of Jewells on my rifles and can get a very-consistent 1.5 oz., and that's good enough for all of my needs.

One of my reservations (about the only one) about Sako rifles (L- and A-series; those preceding the 75s and 85s) is the lack of a really good aftermarket trigger. (B&A do make triggers for the Sako 75s and 85s, but not for the L- and A-series actions.) I got very lucky a couple of years ago and found for sale a used Canjar single-set trigger designed for L- and A-series Sakos. I installed it on my other Sako 6 PPC, a sporter-weight repeater on the A1 action. That one goes down to about 1.5 oz. in set mode, but breaks cleanly at about 2.5 lbs. in unset mode.
Again, as more a hunter than a target shooter, I'm not too interested in the ~$400+ target grade triggers for the Rem 700 breaking at an ounce or so. However, at $235-$275 for a hunter grade trigger, it might be worth a try for me just to see what the huff and puff is all about with the B 'n A triggers.........

At the link, the Bix'n Andy TacSport Pro Rem 700 single stage trigger with a top safety shows to have a trigger pull range from 3.5 ounces to 35 ounces (100 grams to 1000 grams).

With PD season not too far away, I have a custom Rem 700 chambered in 222 Rem Mag that I shoot at PD's with from a portable field bench that comes to mind as being a good trial subject for the trigger.

JMO - BCB