Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-19-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
Wrong group of guys... you must be feeling Froggy! Stepping in the deep end!!! LOL

if our wives actually new what we spent...
Fortunately for me my 2nd wife is the sweetest female I've ever met. Our agreement is we are each free to spend our money any way we want to. We've never even raised our voices to each other in 14 years.
Ha, she's outside right now putting together a little storage bin that must be assembled, something that I hate to do, but something she finds challenging???

Anyway, besides air rifles and 22rf's for shooting critters, I only have two dedicated centerfire varmint rifles, that 5mmFBI and a 223AI. I suppose I could use my 6mmBR for that purpose but it's my long range steel rifle, I haven't even drawn blood with it in 1100 rounds.

I really am not meaning to offend anyone!!! We all look at things differently and I can only give my opinions, right?!

Back to the subject of this post, man I'm excited for cool rifles coming out in the future!
Old 01-20-2020, 05:02 AM

Steve,

No offense taken...some of my favorite guns are older vintage factory rimfire. A 100 years ago a rifle from some manufacturers were custom rifles like the Remington 34 that cost like $15-$20 to make and sold for $12 when the competitors rifles were selling for $3-$4. I may have the numbers slightly off but the magnitude is inline. They could only afford to make them for 2 years before someone paid attention to the cost.

My second wife is much more understanding...the hobbies were here before she arrived so I didn't need to downplay anything or stash stuff under the stair case.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
Steve,

No offense taken...some of my favorite guns are older vintage factory rimfire. A 100 years ago a rifle from some manufacturers were custom rifles like the Remington 34 that cost like $15-$20 to make and sold for $12 when the competitors rifles were selling for $3-$4. I may have the numbers slightly off but the magnitude is inline. They could only afford to make them for 2 years before someone paid attention to the cost.

My second wife is much more understanding...the hobbies were here before she arrived so I didn't need to downplay anything or stash stuff under the stair case.
That's good! There's absolutely no shame in buying less expensive guns if that's one's thing or that's all one can afford. Cool if one likes to tinker and finds the challenge of making a rifle as accurate and reliable as they can.

I too love those nice Vintage and very well made rimfires!

Almost vintage was my first firearm my Dad bought me at age 12, a Savage Anschutz 141M, which was a 64 actioned 22 mag repeater. Loved that gun! And guess what, the ex wife said sell it at a time that we didn't have much money.
Then years later I put a $300 deposit down on a $600 rifle. She bitched that we couldn't afford to make the other $300 within the time limit so I lost the deposit.
Afterwards I got smarter, lol.
The ex has been through 3 husbands and many lovers, one of which used to be my best friend, so what does that tell yuh.

My first higher quality centerfire varmint rifle was a very accurate Cooper M21 in 204R. It's what got me started on this path. "All" my other previous factory rifles weren't near as accurate, or pleasing.