Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-23-2020, 12:53 PM

The coyote was sideways to me and the bullet hit probably just above the heart. Another thing, this .17 AH is suppressed and I think with a suppressed rifle an animal is less likely to run off. With this coyote, it would have felt the sting of the bullet and heard the sonic crack of the bullet, but probably not heard the crack of the rifle. Maybe he started squirming around on the ground to try to rub off an imaginary bug that he thought bit him. Maybe if the were not suppressed, he might have just run from the crack of the rifle and made a 100 yards before dropping. Also, one the coyotes I shot with an unsuppressed .17 AH reached back looking like he was trying to bite a bug that had stung him and was going in circles like a dog chasing its tail until he fell down.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
What do you guys that have the 17 AH think is the maximum shooting range on Groundhogs?
Danny I have cleanly killed about 25 groundhogs at 100 yards with a 17 Mach 2 from a 14" contender. So if the 17 grain bullet at only 2,000 fps muzzle velocity out of my gun can do that at 100 yards I would imagine the a 20 grain bullet with a 3,500 fps
muzzle velocity would carry the same kinetic energy out to 200 yards. As others have said as long as you can keep it in the kill zone those tiny 17s kill like lightning bolts.
I have a 17HH in a 16" barrel but my furthest kill with it has been 150 yards where I hunt groundhogs its mostly in small barn lots some the 17mach2 is my usual carry gun.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:38 PM

I have not had the chance to shoot at a coyote yet with my 17ah, do shoot a lot of crows with the 20gr Vmax. I have another 17 HH that I hope to try the 25gr HP factory loads on coyotes. They shoot half inch groups from the bench in all my and my friends CZ's, so that's good enough, but they do hit 2 inches lower than the 20gr Vmax's. That's reasonable given the lower velocity of the 25gr bullet. Thinking the 25gr HP might not incur the "splat" factor the Vmax has if you hit something pretty solid.....time will tell when I get the chance.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:39 PM

I have shot a ton of woodchucks with my 17AH and I can't remember the last one I lost. I shoot out to 200 yards with no troubles. They just literally fall over, usually with whatever they were eating still in their mouth. I am shooting a 20 grain Vmax. My Cooper Jackson Varmint in 17AH is my favorite walking woodchuck rifle.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:18 AM

Way back when....I was a kid, just old enough to drive at 16, my brother and I would drive to Freistatt Mo from Joplin on a Saturday afternoon to shoot groundhogs. The only rifle we had was a 700 Rem 270 with a 4x Leupold on it that dad had bought for my brother as a high school graduation present. The 700 BDL was $112.50, the 4x Leupold was $75 and the Redfield mounts were about $12. We still have the original receipt from Myron Feemester's gun shop in Fort Scott Ks.

Anyway, that was all we had to shoot whatever we wanted to shoot other than just a 22. So, we would drive about an hour up to Freistatt from Joplin, and there are (were) lots of German farmers locally, and fescue had not taken over as the main grass yet....lots of alfalfa, the whistle pigs favorite lunch. The old farmers would see us driving around and invited us to please shoot the damn groundhogs that were eating lots of their alfalfa. They even wanted us to shoot them if cows were way too close......we would object and tell them that it was too risky as the cows were way too close to the ground hog, but they told us they had seen us shoot and knew there was no risk of us missing the groundhog and accidentally shooting the cow. So we did as we were told and shot lots of groundhogs almost out from under cows....would not even think of doing that today! We got to where we would not even take a shot closer than 200 yards as there just was no challenge in that. Shot lots of them at 300 to 400.....no range finders back then, but we knew where the quarter mile fences were.....at 400 you had to hold a little over a foot over the top of their head....

All that said, we loaded Speer 90 gr hp's with all the H4831 the case would hold....no serious pressure indications ever.....that bullet would split a groundhog wide open, blow guts out for 10 feet and the darn thing would still make it back to his hole and expire right on top of it.....they are really tough buggers...that was just about 60 years ago.....didn't know I was gonna get old so fast! Those were really the good old days....the we got a 220 Swift.....did the same job but didn't kick the crap out of us....just got to reminiscing....now about all we shoot are the 17 Ackley Hornet and the 17 Remington.....zero recoil...alas, fescue is here, and the groundhogs are almost but not quite extinct at Freistatt...one of the most amazing things is that we did it with a 4x scope! Eyes are not the same....got 6.5 x 20's on the guns now and still can't see good enough!
Steve

Last edited by fosters; 01-24-2020 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster's View Post
Way back when....I was a kid, just old enough to drive at 16, my brother and I would drive to Freistatt Mo from Joplin on a Saturday afternoon to shoot groundhogs. The only rifle we had was a 700 Rem 270 with a 4x Leupold on it that dad had bought for my brother as a high school graduation present. The 700 BDL was $112.50, the 4x Leupold was $75 and the Redfield mounts were about $12. We still have the original receipt from Myron Feemester's gun shop in Fort Scott Ks.

Anyway, that was all we had to shoot whatever we wanted to shoot other than just a 22. So, we would drive about an hour up to Freistatt from Joplin, and there are (were) lots of German farmers locally, and fescue had not taken over as the main grass yet....lots of alfalfa, the whistle pigs favorite lunch. The old farmers would see us driving around and invited us to please shoot the damn groundhogs that were eating lots of their alfalfa. They even wanted us to shoot them if cows were way too close......we would object and tell them that it was too risky as the cows were way too close to the ground hog, but they told us they had seen us shoot and knew there was no risk of us missing the groundhog and accidentally shooting the cow. So we did as we were told and shot lots of groundhogs almost out from under cows....would not even think of doing that today! We got to where we would not even take a shot closer than 200 yards as there just was no challenge in that. Shot lots of them at 300 to 400.....no range finders back then, but we knew where the quarter mile fences were.....at 400 you had to hold a little over a foot over the top of their head....

All that said, we loaded Speer 90 gr hp's with all the H4831 the case would hold....no serious pressure indications ever.....that bullet would split a groundhog wide open, blow guts out for 10 feet and the darn thing would still make it back to his hole and expire right on top of it.....they are really tough buggers...that was just about 60 years ago.....didn't know I was gonna get old so fast! Those were really the good old days....the we got a 220 Swift.....did the same job but didn't kick the crap out of us....just got to reminiscing....now about all we shoot are the 17 Ackley Hornet and the 17 Remington.....zero recoil...alas, fescue is here, and the groundhogs are almost but not quite extinct at Freistatt...one of the most amazing things is that we did it with a 4x scope! Eyes are not the same....got 6.5 x 20's on the guns now and still can't see good enough!
Steve
Great memories Steve, made me smile. My favorite memories are running the countryside as a kid with a .22 and eventually a 25-06 chasing woodchucks. I covered some ground. You are right, they are not anywhere near as plentiful as they were then, or maybe I don't see as many because I can't cover that kind of ground anymore, LOL!
Old 01-25-2020, 03:02 PM

I was thinking more about trajectory concerns with respect to useable distance (on Groundhogs), as I am eventually going to have a No. 1 rebarreled. I have a Cooper 17 Remington and 17 Fireball, as well as a Remington 700 Fireball. I would maybe try a 17 AH, but maybe something inbetween 17 AH and 17 Fireball. One thought is to just get another 17 Fireball.

As far as I can tell, the 17 Killer Bee, 17 HeeBee and maybe even the 17 Ackley Bee essentially duplicate the 17 Fireball. I think that doing one of those with the brass trouble and me having to buy dies would not be worth it when I already have 17 Fireballs.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.

Last edited by Danny; 01-25-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more about trajectory concerns with respect to useable distance (on Groundhogs), as I am eventually going to have a No. 1 rebarreled. I have a Cooper 17 Remington and 17 Fireball, as well as a Remington 700 Fireball. I would maybe try a 17 AH, but maybe something inbetween 17 AH and 17 Fireball. One thought is to just get another 17 Fireball.

As far as I can tell, the 17 Killer Bee, 17 HeeBee and maybe even the 17 Ackley Bee essentially duplicate the 17 Fireball. I think that doing one of those with the brass trouble and me having to buy dies would not be worth it when I already have 17 Fireballs.
Just stick to the 17 Fireball and your 17 Remington. And if you have not been into the 20 calibers, build a nice 20 VarTarg and enjoy. Bill K
Old 01-26-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Just stick to the 17 Fireball and your 17 Remington. And if you have not been into the 20 calibers, build a nice 20 VarTarg and enjoy. Bill K
Bill,
I would like to try 20 calibers, and the 20 VT is a great and first one I would like to try, but only if I did not already have the 17 Fireballs. In.my situation, what might make more sense is a 204 Ruger as an alternate (that burns less powder) to my .22-250 and 220 Swift rifles.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Bill,
I would like to try 20 calibers, and the 20 VT is a great and first one I would like to try, but only if I did not already have the 17 Fireballs. In.my situation, what might make more sense is a 204 Ruger as an alternate (that burns less powder) to my .22-250 and 220 Swift rifles.
Nothing wrong with the 204 R. I have a couple of them, along with the VT and a 20 SCC (VT improved) and do shoot them. However most of the time in the pivots and rock chuck arenas the VT/SCC do 90 % of what the 204 will do, and with even less powder and recoil. Very nice to watch those hits on targets. Bill K