Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-11-2018, 05:50 PM

Think I was 13 or 14 when I got my own 22. Went to Sears with my grandmother and got a Sears semi-auto (Stevens or Springfield if memory serves). She lived in the country on the edge of a swamp bordering a couple of small farms with targets galore, cattails, cans, pinecones and woodchucks. Put thousands of rounds through that 22. Fun times. When I went into the Army in 1971 my younger brother sold that 22 and my shotgun thinking I wasn’t coming back.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:09 AM

My first .22LR was a Stevens M15B single shot. I bought it with money I had earned and the sale of a braided rawhide rope at the local action sale. It cost $15.00. I bought it at the local Coast to Coast Hardware. I had gone in to the store at least three times a week for most of the winter to look at the rifle I was sure would be mine someday. When Dad and I went into the store to buy it, it was gone. I was heart broken. later that day the store called us and said the rifle had come back. I had Dad take me straight away back into town and we bought my rifle and two boxes of shorts. Oh my I was happy. We still have that rifle in the family, my oldest son has it now and is teaching my grandkids to shoot with it. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds have been shot through that rifle. But it never fails to bring a smile to my face when I pick it up. I have bought a couple of others that I came across because they have such a simple action. My other grandkids from my 2nd son have one of those.

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 11-12-2018, 02:36 AM

Fox hunter I reread your original post. Funny that that is the same rifle my brother had. Only bad thing was the ejector was bad. He had to use a cleaning rod or pocket knife to get the spent shells out. Dave
Old 11-12-2018, 10:14 PM

It was so long ago it's hard to remember ! I think it was a J C Higgins Semi-Auto ....... but it might have been a very accurate Target Mossberg 144 LS Bolt Rifle . The Higgins ( which I think was maybe a High Standard ) had a Red Cloth Sling that pulled out of the Butt Stock and attached to the Front . After many thousands of rounds , the firing pin broke and I think it was relegated to a car trunk . Got rusted and some guy saw it , liked it , and bought it for $20 and said he made a new Firing Pin out of a Nail . Many years later I saw a like new same Model Higgins and bought it out of nostalgia . I had a like new J C Higgins Brass & Blue 22 Scope I Sold just before finding the Replacement Rifle .....bad timing on my part .
Old 11-13-2018, 12:25 AM

Dad bought my brothers and I a Remington 514 when we weren't very old. I ended up using his 22 single shot, not sure the brand, most of the time. Front sight fell out and I glued part of a button in place. I ended up with both of these 22's after dad was gone. Mom would buy me 22's by the brick to shoot sparrows. Shot them by the hundreds. My first 22 was a Glenfield Model 60 that mom signed out for me as I was well below age. Even the piece of crap scope was amazing for shooting sparrows and starlings that stayed around the cattle and hog pens. Oh, the days. If I had access to the 22's that I have now, the birds would have been in real trouble.

My son is a little more lucky as he won a Henry 22 and I gave him a CZ 453. He's on his own from here out other than having permission to use anything I have except when I am using it.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 AM

Thumbs up The FIRST 22.........

Back in the late 1950's I was introduced to my grandfather's 22 rifle.

My uncle Jerry Don always referred to it as "the Winchester 22 with the Hex barrel". Since I was only 8-10 years old at the time......that's the way things were.

In later years.....once I learned a bit of geometry.....I told Jerry Don that an eight sided barrel is an octagon. He still called it a "hex barrel" for at least another 20 years..........great memories!! Jerry Don is no longer with us......gone way too young.....I miss him.

The rest of the story........I still have the rifle.......it's a Winchester Model 61 22lr Octagon

Friend Of The 17
Kevin
Old 11-13-2018, 04:47 PM

The first rifle my day let me shoot with no supervision, was a Remington 511. MY first was a 10/22. The biggest mistake of my life was taking that rifle and putting on a bull barrel and thumbhole stock. It went from my do all rifle I probably shot 15000 rounds thru to a safe queen that I don't want to carry, and have probably not shot 100 rounds thru in 25 years.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ward's Westernfield

My Grandpa gave me a Ward's Westrernfield bolt action when I was 12. Pretty gun with stamped checkering and unreliable feed from the 5 shot magazines. I believe it was made by Mossberg. I gave it to my oldest son when he turned 12, and it is still a pretty little thing and still has unreliable feed from the mags.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:40 PM

Fun reading all of your stories. Times were certainly different back in the day for many of us. Being less than 12 years old, owning your own rifle, and carrying it through town unsupervised! Who screwed things up?

I remember shooting my grandfathers single shot 22 at magpies on his mink ranch when I was about 8 years old. The wood stock was faded and the barrel was completely rusted on the outside. We would pass the barrel through the chicken wire holes on the outside of the mink pens and pick off magpies that would fly in and land on the manure pile. It was easy to get several of them a week, particularly in late summer when the yearlings could fly and find their own food.

I wore out a couple of Benjamin pump BB guns shooting pigeons at my other grandfathers dairy farm, graduated to a Sheridan pellet gun, and before I turned 12 years old got a Marlin 39A Golden. At some point I put a Tasco scope on it and shot it continuously for many years. I still have it (without the scope) and will pull it out just to hold it in my hands from time to time to feel the walnut wood stock and work the lever action. It doesn't get as much of a workout in the field these days as it has to share time with about a couple dozen or so other rimfire rifles and pistols. But, I still get a thrill each time I shoot it. Can't say that about all of my rifles. Shortly after I got my 39A, along came a Ruger Single Six with my name on it. Worked all summer hauling hay to get her ........ but that's another story. Burt