Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-06-2018, 11:31 AM

Default Xp-100 221 fb

Have had this action for longer than I like to admit. It was a 221 that bubba had ran a 223 reamer in. Ugly was an understatement. Sent it with my GS, he had it for several months. Got it back and he said it was the toughest XP he had come across as far as getting the barrel off.

He had squared everything up top to bottom front to back.

My thing is, I see comments on ejection problems with the short brass. I have played with XP's for a day or two and never payed any attention. Heck some of the ones I had in years past would not extract a loaded round, ya had to take the bolt out.

If I do put a short cartridge rig together, will I kick myself for parting ways with this or not.

There are some better options than an XP today, or at least I think so.

Jeff
Old 11-06-2018, 01:30 PM
Supporting Member

Jim Borden is making a XP clone, or a Bat SV will work with the short cases

ML
Old 11-06-2018, 01:56 PM

The guys over on speciality pistols might have some answers for you.
That's what they shoot and shoot very well.

Hal
Old 11-06-2018, 02:23 PM

Jeff,
I have a couple of small bolt face XP's, one in 6TCU and the other in 20 Vartarg. The extractors on the XP's do not have a huge bite on the rim but I have never had any real issues. With the 6TCU, though I have never had one not extract sometimes it releases as it is pulled out before the ejector kicks it out and leaves it laying in the trough and I have to tip the action to dump it out (Silhouette gun). When I had my 20 Vartarg built my gunsmith said the extractor was not 100% reliable (worn?) and suggested a Sako extractor so that is what I had him put in. Very positive extraction. Much better than the factory extractor. Have not had any issues with any of the larger bolt face XP extractors. I would not hesitate to build on an XP action
Bret
Old 11-06-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If I do put a short cartridge rig together, will I kick myself for parting ways with this or not.
I have some experience with these. You didn't give many details, but here's my $0.02 on the XP receivers... The only special thing about them is the pistol platform, and then the trigger with the long connecting rod is the only magic. The version with the grip way at the back is just a regular receiver/trigger again. If you're going to put the receiver into a rifle, check out the XR-100 which is the same thing but with a better trigger and screw setup. For 223 bolt face there are various better solutions. They did make a repeater version, and I think it was basically the same as a Model 7, 600, etc. They're a little shorter than a regular 700 short action.

So it's still way oversize for 223 stuff, and anything 308 or magnum bolt face in a pistol will get old pretty quick without a suppressor. They work fine in single shot rifles, but then so do a lot of receivers. They are more rigid with the solid floor. I have one with a 1-piece rail as well that works well and seems very stable. The remote trigger does offer some interesting possibilities in a bull pup. To me, this is the most interesting thing about the XP.

The receiver is mostly just another remington with weird screw spacing. If you have it in a pistol with the forward grip, it's slightly more special as a package.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:56 PM

I have been at SP from day one. One of the original gang that used to get on yahoo chat every night. Made lots of friends there.

What I was getting at on ejection. Some say they have a problem with say a Model 7 or 700 of the ejector and extractor working to kick out empties with the short fireball size cases.

My 7BR has the ejector removed. Open the bolt and roll my wrist to the right and the roll out, works well for IHMSA Creedmoor.

My 6x45/6-223 flips them right into my range box.
7TCU did the same.

From reading around different places, some said the original FB ejector was different than from the others because of the case length. Seems they were dropping them in the chamber, flipping around 180 degrees.

I had tossed around a Sako extractor years back, but never had an issue.

I chased around looking for a rifle stock for the XP. Seems only maybe one or two offering them anymore. Model 7 stocks can be made to work.

Suppose I will leave it for a while, it doesn't eat or crap on the floor ;-).
Old 11-06-2018, 08:15 PM
Supporting Member

Never had any issues with extraction OR ejection on my stock XP in pistol form.
Had shoulder issues when trying to do the "reach" thing" with the LER scopes.
Swapped it over to a rifle stock and 26" heavy barrel and swapped it to a Rifle Basix trigger. Deadly accurate. I DID modify the ejection spring a bit so I didn't have to chase by fired brass too far. Anything shorter than the Fireball or VT may have eject or extract issues? No facts to back that up.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
From reading around different places, some said the original FB ejector was different than from the others because of the case length.
There was a recent thread about this. It looks like the difference was in extractor location:

From here:

saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34740