Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-12-2018, 01:20 AM
Supporting Member

Default Savage 23

Hi folks.

Over the weekend I went into a little gun/pawn shop that I stop in whenever I happen to be traveling through toen. Over a year and half i stopped in and they had a Savage 23 in 25-20 Win. It has seen it's fare share of use, the blue finish is more of matte finish. It came with a BSA 2.5x10 scope in a weaver side mount. The stock has a some nice grain to it vs. plain Jane, the bore nice and bright, lands are clean and sharp.

When I first seen the rifle I felt the asking price was way more then what I willing to shell out. If memory serves me correct $449.00 sticks in my head, and they had back with the rifles one had to ask to see.

On this stop they had out on the rack in front of the counter and the asking price was $330.00. Still a little high for something that I really don't need. Recalling that the rifle has been sitting around for a while, I took the rifle up to the counter and mentioned that I know it has been sitting her for almost 2 years, and asked how bad do they want to find a home for it.

$275.00 was their offer. I countered at $250.00, they declined. Long story short it still came with me. I already have a another 25-20 along with dies, mold, brass, etc.

So.... whadaya think?

Appreciate the input.

Michael.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Supporting Member

The Sav 23's were nice rifles and pretty well built. You did good.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Hard to find and desirable in a lot of circles. I forget the model, but years ago I was going to buy a little Savage bolt gun in 32-20 and guy I was with talked me out of it. Regretted it ever since.
Jeff
Old 11-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Supporting Member

JSH, probably a Mod 23. They were thought to be good enough that some early custom gunsmiths built guns on the action. Do search on doubleguns.com under single barrel guns. On accuratereloading.com under customs you might find some info.