Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-09-2018, 02:18 PM

Default California Blues...

Hi All,

On July 1, 2019 ALL hunting in California must be done with non-lead bullets. I live in California so I must comply. This presents, at least, a couple of problems for me and I’m sure many others.

First of all, as lead free bullets are long for weight, some of my rifles have twist rates that are too slow and some have magazine boxes that are too short (Sako L461) for these bullets.

Also, I have many cup & lead core bullets that I can no longer use in my home state. For example, I have .172 20 and 30 gr. Starke bullets as well as .224 36 gr Starke that I can no longer use and have no idea what they are worth now.
I guess that the time has arrived to start selling rifles and bullets that the nuts in my state have outlawed. What do you all think?

Marcos (elalto)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:29 PM

Default Global Dumbing

MOVE !!! or just like the rest of us idiots that still live here sell off everything you have at a great loss...... sorry for the rant still cant believe I haven't moved out my self. I have the same problem don't know what to do with them, cant even make fishing sinkers with them no lead there also, and here I thought lead was a NATURAL substance the occurs NATURALLY must have to do with CLIMATE CHANGE !!!!!!
Old 11-09-2018, 02:41 PM

Default Lead bullets

Let this be a warning for us non Cal shooters. Nancy Swamp Witch will be holding hearings and introducing legislation starting next year

Seems these things start in Cal and the virus spreads to the rest of us
Old 11-09-2018, 02:51 PM

Default California Blues...

Shoot away with you lead bullets at targets, etc. at the gun range or plinking. The non-lead ban is only for shooting animals and fowl. Does not mean you cannot shoot them on targets, so practice your skill on those.
I am, however, finding out and working up various loads for my rifles with non-lead bullets for hunting/varmints and am finding I have some very fine load/groups with the non=lead bullets. Can make them fit my magazines and chambers just fine and they are grouping under 1 to 1/2 inch moa easily.
We just have to work within the stupid laws this state is inacting, to protect the condor.. Sac and the present game commission are just plain stupid and so anti-gun it is not funny. Bill K
Old 11-09-2018, 04:42 PM

Maybe invest in sling shots and blow dart guns?

I kid, I kid

sorry to hear about your unfortunate issues over "there"
Old 11-09-2018, 05:58 PM

The non-lead deal is spreading. Here, Trudeau is pushing anti-lead talks here.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:51 PM

hmm - I would be inclined to drop a few unfired bullets on the ground in the wilderness just because.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Supporting Member

Started the transition a couple of years ago, my varmint rifles now all wear fast twist 20 or 22 cal barrels, still have a 17 hornet in hopes that Hornady can be talked into 17 ntx bullets as components, and biding my time with work until I can ask for a transfer out of the commifornia zone.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:13 AM

I have thousands of lead bullets also, I’m gonna hold onto them until I can get out of this shi*bag state. Everyday it’s seems like it gets more and more ridiculous. I personally will give up hunting in California altogether after 2019, and just start hunting out of state for coyotes and other predators.

Blair
Old 11-10-2018, 01:01 AM

My deer load for my 6.5 Swede uses Berger no lead bullets. It copper fouls badly after 20 shots or so.

The ban wouldn’t effect me that bad for game and coyotes, but it probably wouldn’t be feasible to shoot ground squirrels with a centerfire.