Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-10-2018, 02:45 AM

Default Your first 22 lr.

The first 22lr I had was a Winchester pump with the hammer. Believe it was the model 1906, that would have been in about 1946 in the sutter basin. As I remember it was only chambered in 22 short, or that was all I ever shot in it and dad bought or I traded magpie feet ( don't remember how many) for a box of Remington 22 shorts at the local market. Fun times for a kid and a 22. Bill K
Old 11-10-2018, 03:09 AM

Mine was a single shot J C Higgins(don't recall the model) I was a good shot with that thing. My targets of choice were shotgun hulls out to about 50-60 yards i'd drop them 99% of the time. Live targets were always fun to. Lizards were a real challenge!

After a good 5-6 years with the jennings I got a marlin model 60 which I still have to this day. The jennings was handed down to a younger cousin.

Man I miss the days of being able to buy real bricks of 22 ammo(10-50 round boxes) for $7 at Kmart when they were on sale. That would get me through the summer as I made my shots count! remington thunderbolts. lol mini mags or stingers were a treat which i'd usually get for easter.

I got my oldest a savage rascal for his 5th birthday and plan to get the others the same as they get older. there a nice little rifle for the money.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 11-10-2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Corrected model name not Jennings
Old 11-10-2018, 03:13 AM

Ruger 10/22 here. I use to pack it when I was to young for a deer license. The old guys would give it to me and say “here walk this creek and don’t shoot it unless it’s huge” then they would sit and wait for the deer to runs out. I had a blast though.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Rossi, Win 62 copy.

Still have it. But it stopped going bang several decades ago. Light primer strikes, have never gotten around to having it looked at or trying to diagnose it.

My Dad, who supplied all my ammo, figured I put 50,000 rounds through it while it lasted. Jackrabbits were biblical plague thick back then. Dad used to hand me a fresh carton on Saturday morning and never did anything but smile when I burned up 500 rounds in a day or two.

- DAA
Old 11-10-2018, 01:23 PM

My first was a J C Higgins single shot bolt action made by Springfield, and I still have it. Manually cocked with a knob on the back of the bolt, just like a M1903. Has beautiful bluing and a very nice real walnut stock and open sights. Got it for Christmas from an Uncle, probably in '52 or '53. I read later in an old Sears catalog it was $15 back then. When that Uncle died many years later, I got his Win M62 and S&W M18 and still have them.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:09 PM

Stevens 15, my Son has it now, Dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was 8 or 9.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:21 PM

Mine was an old marlin bolt action. Still have it and it's still crazy accurate. I use to tape Penny's beneath the bullseye of my targets. Shoot them at 50 yds when my friends were over. Made it look like a 20 gauge slug hole. They could never figure it out or duplicate it.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 11-10-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
My first was a J C Higgins single shot bolt action made by Springfield
This is what I had. I don't know why I thought it was called a jennings. lol
Old 11-10-2018, 03:39 PM

My first was a Remington Model 6 Improved that I bought at a flea market for $3.00. The little gun had no bluing, a "nice" brown patina, no butt stock but otherwise it was nice and tight.

I made a stock for it my self out of marine mahogany and enjoyed shooting a ton of critters with it. That rifle belongs to my son now.

Marcos (elalto)
Old 11-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Default Win 69A

I was 9 and my father told me to get his 22 and shoot a groundhog eating in our hay field. These chucks were tame at the time, it was about 125 yards away. I walked about 60 yards and rested the 22 on a a fence post. I shot and missed, the second shot was a head shot. That stared my 50 plus years of avid varmint shooting