Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-24-2018, 05:15 PM

Ive got a Sako L46, in .17 Mack IV,
Lapua brass, CCI 400, Benchmark 18.5 gr with 25g V-max or HP, and 19gr with the 20gr v-max,
Old 07-07-2018, 03:32 PM

Default have you tried TAC?

You didn't mention it but I had some TAC I wanted to try. Originally this was a fireform load as i had a bunch of 20gr vmax I wouldn't use on coyotes, but they shoot so well I just kept inching it up. I've only shot two chucks with it. one @ 50 and one @ about 150. In both cases it was like just unplugging them. couldn't find the entrance and no exit, but they fell over stone dead. Remington 700, 24" sporter weight factory barrel. This load is safe in MY gun. YMMV

Old 07-13-2018, 04:26 AM

Well, after several weeks of testing, I have learned a few things.

First, this is a rechamber of a 17VHA and I have concluded that it is a bit on the short side in the throat. That's ok though.

Second, I switched to CCI 400 from the Fed GM. I was getting nippling on every primer, no matter what I did. The CCI stopped that...till I blew two. Never had a pierced primer in 42 years of loading, till now.

So I switched over to H335, and went below minimum to 17.5 grains and a 25 grain Vmax. The "nippling" went away and the group shrank to 3/4 inch. I have decided that most of the loads I have tried from the manuals (including Sensational Seventeens) are just too hot for this barrel.

I am testing some 20 grain Vmax on Saturday.

In other news, i discovered that the Bullberry forarm, despite the hanger, was hard agaist the barrel on one side, just down under where you can see. I relieved it, and the forearm actually twisted...I had to kep relieving it and waiting overnight till the grain in the wood stopped changing. I finally just hogged it out and put a new finish on it. I also lightened the inch pounds of screw tightness, and it helped.

All this work has caused my only 30 Rem 17 FB cases to be a bit worn...now I have to decide if I wait till more show up or start all over with LC formed brass! Gonna need 500-800 eventually.

Finally, a comment:
It is fun, and cool and I like it, this little cartridge. I can see building or buying a bolt gun for it. But gosh, I just spent ten whole bullets developing a new 50 grain TNT and Benchmark load for my Duece...that was easy! And it shot 1/3 inch with no effort.

Thanks for the help, and I will hang on to this for when I build a bolt action..
Old 07-13-2018, 03:17 PM

There were posts here and on accurateshooter.com notifying of .17 Fireball brass being available from Cabela's and another vendor. Don't know if it's still in stock but if not, you probably won't see it again for another five years.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:29 AM

Snert-

400's will pierce/blank at upper pressures. Go BR4/450/7 1/2. I'd probably try 7 1/2's first with ball powders. Might want to back off a bit with 450's in the small case.

Last edited by GrocMax; 07-14-2018 at 04:32 AM.