Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Default Red Deer Hunt

A few photos from this years red stag rut. We were a bit late arriving this year due to work commitments so the rut was pretty much over. We only heard 2 roars for the entire 5 day trip. The weather for the first 3 days was pretty rough so we were limited where we could hunt and the animals were down low and in cover.

Home for 6 days. Rough but comfortable and it sure beats a tent!

Once the weather cleared and we got into our preferred spots we started see animals. I sat on a cut over one evening just on dark watching a group of 4 hinds and yearlings. Glancing to my right I observed a large 10+ point red stag feeding 40 yds from cover 350 yds away. Sadly he fed into dead ground before I could set up on him so I left him undisturbed with the view of returning the following morning. Back at first light there was a group of 7 animals out feeding (hinds, yearlings and a stag). The stag only had 1 antler but we were nearing the end of our trip and wanted some venison to take home. I quickly set up, dialled in and dropped the stag with a neck shot at 495 yds with my custom Nesika 338 Edge. Needless to say he went down like a sack of spuds!

We returned the same evening and disturbed a group of 5 animals. Setting up the Edge and the spotter we sat down to see whether the animals would reappear. 30 minutes later a spiker grazed into view. One of our party hadn't shot a red before so him and another mate stalked in for a close shot. Things didn't quite go to plan due to some paradise ducks giving the show away and several shots later from the boys the group was hurried on its way unharmed!

Type of country we were hunting. Quad is an XP550. Edge is on the bike. We watched a hind, yearling and stag one evening cross the slip amongst the trees on the left hand side of the photograph.

Packed up and headed for home the next day. Tally for the trip was 1 stag, 1 pig, 10+ goats and a number of rabbits and hares. Great time had by all
Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Supporting Member

Great story and pictures
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the hunt story and photos. What about the silencer???
Old 06-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Great pictures and awesome country! Bet it was nice to get away for a bit and unwind.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Supporting Member

That is some beautiful country Good shooting and camera work, you all done good.

Tom
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Thanks for the hunt story and photos. What about the silencer???
Hi Ray, moderator means I can fire the rifle without hearing protection. It has a muzzle break built into the system. Probably not quite as efficient as a decent break at taming the recoil however.

Ramos - Only been to this location twice - it's a once a year visit unfortunately Last year I nailed a large 15 point red with a 7wsm. Always look forward to this trip!!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 AM

Some semi wild horses which live in the block.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM

Neiska
Glad you live in a free country that allows Sportsmen to enjoy such Country. That's free with a small 'f'. Like to try my new to me Rem .280 Mountain rifle in that kind of environment.

Stephen Perry