Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Supporting Member

Default Silver Fox

Paging Silver Fox,any new huntin storys ? shootin irons on the golf course, or to early to get out in North Dakota ?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 AM

Still deep winter in NoDak land.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 AM
Supporting Member

redrock ranger--Greetings from North DaColder and North DaWINDY too!!! I was down in Yuma, AZ the last two weeks of February and most of March so that put a big hole in my predator hunting time. It is way too early to be out playing golf, but it may turn nice here by the end of May or first part of June.

When I finally got back to North Dakota I did get out and did some ADC work for a rancher out by the Montana state line. I was using my suppressed tight-necked .17 Remington on these hunts and the bullet I used was the 30 gr. FBHP Nagel T-000. These bullets have been deadly on coyotes for me this season. The first day out at the ranch was April 1. I called in 2 coyotes on the first stand and bagged one. This was a very old female.

On my second stand I called in a single shortly after starting to call and when it was coming in it was stopping frequently and looking back where it came from so I figured there was at least one more coyote back there. I shot that coyote and stayed on the stand using some wounded coyote sounds. I spotted a coyote way up north of my stand but it was moving away. I kept calling and in a few minutes I had two more coyotes heading my way. I dropped the big male when he stopped to look back. I couldn't get a shot at the second coyote and no more coyotes came in, but I figured a double wasn't too bad.

Here's the second of two coyotes from this second stand.

I spent another couple hours hiking around the hills and trying to call in more coyotes without any luck..

On April 2 I went back out to where the rancher had a cow carcass lying, but didn't spot any more coyotes out there. There were several bald eagles and a couple of golden eagles on the carcass along with a bunch of magpies.

On April 6 I went back out to the ranch and had a coyote howling back at me from way up NW of my stand. I walked back out of that area and drove my pickup around to the SW of where I heard the coyote answering. I walked maybe a mile and a half up to the NE of my pickup and set up my FX5 to the east of my hiding spot and started with the young female coyote sound I also used some rabbit distress sounds and soon spotted a coyote off the the SSE of me on a ridge about 250 yards away. I turned the volume down on the caller and the coyote started in. It started circling to get to the SW of me, but stopped at about 130 yards away and I took the shot. It was a nice female that looked like it was about ready to start lactating. So, I guess I probably killed 6 to 8 coyotes with that one shot.

The rancher likes to see the dead coyotes so I hang them up on fenceposts when one is handy.

Here's a photo from my hiding spot looking to the spot where the coyote was when I squeezed the trigger.

We had some real bad weather after that. About 8 inches of snow fell one day and we had snow coming down about every other day for three or four days, so I shut down the hunting. Around the 22nd of April the rancher called me and asked if I would come out there again. Coyotes had just killed a newborn calf that afternoon. So, I went back out there on April 23 and did a great big six to six and a half mile walk. I called in 5 places and didn't see one coyote. I was a pretty tired old man when I got back to my pickup, but I guess the fresh air and exercise are supposed to be good for you?!?!?

The rancher told me he had finally been able to get in contact with a government ADC man and he was coming out to the ranch on the 26th to set snares, traps and a put out a bunch of "coyote getters" all over. The rancher figured I had better stay out of there after the "coyote getters" got set out and I agreed.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks FOX i always enjoy your adventures.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Supporting Member

redrock ranger--You are welcome. How did your predator season go?

NRA Life Member
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Supporting Member

I'm retired bird hunter, primarily Ringnecks and Quail . Hopefully a Prarie Dog hunt or two and every other week to the range to shoot paper.

For those who will not boycott Colorado there is a couple of dogtowns at Denver International , contact T S A for a guide.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Silver ! I enjoyed your post also.

Sounds like those suppressors are gaining in N Dakota.

Jim
Old 05-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Supporting Member

Silverfox

What is a coyote getter?
I always enjoy your write ups. Thanks Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 AM
Supporting Member

Kenny--Sorry I haven't been following this thread and just spotted it tonight, June 13, 2013. Originally the coyote getter was a tube staked into the ground with a coyote attractant. When the coyote tried to pull on the attractant it would release a firing pin that would fire a .38 blank resulting in a spray of sodium cyanide into the coyotes mouth killing it almost instantly. A safer device called the M44 ejector was developed and is used in many countries for predator control to protect livestock. The M44 is only a spring loaded device and does not use blanks.

Here's a photo of some of the devices used as coyote or fox getters that I found on the jackal.co.za Website:

Left to right: M44 piston ejector, Humane Coyote Getter, and what might be a South African version called the Fox Buster.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-14-2013, 03:47 AM
Supporting Member

A friend originally from Kansas was telling me about these
he had used for coyotes and he guessed they were no longer
in use.
You know anything that works , change it. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.