Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-24-2019, 03:10 AM

Kiff emailed me a print of the reamer when I first started thinking about this project. I initialy bought a factory box of 22 Nosler ammo and compared measurements. From what I could tell everything looked like a go. Next I bought a box of new brass from Midway and confirmed my findings.

The reamer will be here Tues or Weds and off to my Smith everything will go. This is far from my first experiment. If it's a flop so be it.

If you go back to my very first statement and question I was merely wanting to get thoughts on a 9 twist for the 20 caliber 55's.

I do enjoy a good conversation though, so thank you !
Old 03-24-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Drifter View Post
Kiff emailed me a print of the reamer when I first started thinking about this project. I initialy bought a factory box of 22 Nosler ammo and compared measurements. From what I could tell everything looked like a go. Next I bought a box of new brass from Midway and confirmed my findings.

The reamer will be here Tues or Weds and off to my Smith everything will go. This is far from my first experiment. If it's a flop so be it.

If you go back to my very first statement and question I was merely wanting to get thoughts on a 9 twist for the 20 caliber 55's.

I do enjoy a good conversation though, so thank you !
I missed that part, the 9 twist should be fine. Thinking back to earlier posts I believe you mentioned some pretty high velocities (or someone did). A buddy has a 20 Extreme with a 9, both of mine are 8's getting velocities around 3200 -3250 fps. His shoots the same bug hole groups as mine. Well... his might be better but I think that overall he is a better shooter than me.
On the Berger site there is a twist rate calculator that you can stick your numbers in (expected velocity, ballistic coefficient....) and it will tell you if the bullet will stabilize
Old 03-24-2019, 02:32 PM

Thank you. Yes, it even states right on the Berger box that this bullet is recommended for an 8 twist or faster. I have experimented with both and have had better results with a 9 in a couple differant calibers when running 3400 and faster..

I love my 20 Practicals, but for some reason this year during fur season I had one too many coyotes get farther than they should have. So I'm thinking 200 or 300 fps more might put that extra "shock" on impact to help with that quick kill.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Drifter View Post
Thank you. Yes, it even states right on the Berger box that this bullet is recommended for an 8 twist or faster. I have experimented with both and have had better results with a 9 in a couple differant calibers when running 3400 and faster..

I love my 20 Practicals, but for some reason this year during fur season I had one too many coyotes get farther than they should have. So I'm thinking 200 or 300 fps more might put that extra "shock" on impact to help with that quick kill.
On Berger"s sight (before they were discontinued) they were recommending a 7 twist for the 55's. Don't know why they changed their minds on that as it was their recommendation of 8 twist that I went with when building mine and 8 twist works fine. Were the bullets working proper? Big or no holes on exit? Last year a buddy shot 75 yotes and never mentioned any going too far. Matter of fact he was impressed with the job the 55's did - and his fur buyer was pleased too.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:38 PM

When I was getting ready to have my 20-250 built I talked to Berger extensively about which twist I should go with, the 8 or 9, because it seemed to be almost a 50/50 split between shooters with 9tw barrels that shoot the 55's and those with 8tw barrels, with both claiming success.

Per Berger, unless you are at relatively higher elevations, a 9tw will not attain the maximum BC of the bullet. I'm only around 2,000 ft so I went with a 26in Krieger 8tw on my 20-250 build and it has turned out very well.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:51 AM

Thank you . This is the kind of imput I'm looking for.

I bought a couple boxes of Dogtown 22 Nosler brass from Midway. $49 and change per box of 250 cases. When I opened the box to inspect the brass I noticed the head stamping was "Dogtown 22 Nosler", I thought right there that it was going to be crap... First thing I did was wieghed a few and I tell you what, It's impressive to say the least ! Out of the random 20 to 30 cases wieghed 1.1grain was max. The brass looks beautiful to. It's on Clearance sale for some reason so i officially ordered enough to last me forever lol... Anyway I had to head to South Dakota for a short vacation with my kid and his family so when I get back home I'll take some measurements and let you guys know more about this brass.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:11 PM

I keep forgetting to add this....

Using the 55's, this round will be too long for an AR magizine. I'm a bolt guy, so it don't affect me. As soon as I get a barrel chambered and find out where the lands are I will post the OAL length if anyone is interested.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
When I was getting ready to have my 20-250 built I talked to Berger extensively about which twist I should go with, the 8 or 9, because it seemed to be almost a 50/50 split between shooters with 9tw barrels that shoot the 55's and those with 8tw barrels, with both claiming success.

Per Berger, unless you are at relatively higher elevations, a 9tw will not attain the maximum BC of the bullet. I'm only around 2,000 ft so I went with a 26in Krieger 8tw on my 20-250 build and it has turned out very well.
My house sits at 6000' and my coyote and praire dog hunting takes place anywhere from 4500 to 7500' so maybe thats why the 9 works out ok for me ?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint E View Post
So I take it ,no trim case.
I heard they was discontinued those bullets.i may have heard wrong
Clint for some reason I can't answer your PM (actually I dont know how lol). If you want send me another one with your # and ill get back to you that way.

Mike from Meeteetse
Old 03-26-2019, 03:10 AM

I got them drifter . Look forward to the out come of the project