Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 PM

Guess all comes down to environment and personal tastes.

Over here in the states, the pre64 hornet brings pretty good money, say 1500-3500 US dollars. I paid 1500 US dollars for mine and thought I got a bargain in our market here. Tis a lovely rifle, feels like a rifle. My extra Shilen barrels indulges me some with wildcats on the hornet case in said rifle. Every rifle can benefit from updates of materials and bedding..........along with loading criteria.

I reckon most could make up a single shot pre64 model 70 in hornet, bush the bolt face and procure or make up the extractor with the longer nose, but I digress some.......

Full sized rifles are from an earlier era, 22's were made up on large actions more so than now, I suspect the SMLE had a conversion as well.

I have some friends on the north side of London a ways, they tell me about the rules of the day with firearms there, have to shoot each weapon so much in a period of time, can only own a certain number of whatever, be a member of a nice gun club; no revolver without a piece of iron on the back, etc etc. Not sure how a rebarrel of the model 70 would go over there with the respect to the rules, but a good barrel is the key item in most weapons to me.

The Anschutz rifles are quite nice, no doubt. Over here I favor the old Savage/Anschutz 54 sporters, craftsmanship and accuracy is there. Probably all in all, for the money, the CZ or BRNO is hard to beat in the hornet.

The hornet is not really a long range item per se, so catering to the longer, newer bullets does nothing for me with the hornet. Just my opinion, and glad we all can still have such........kinda like cars, no need for superchargers; just add cubic inches when needed.

My friends north of London tell me that they can buy certain desirable(overhere)rifles for a song, the kicker is that they have to meet criteria for such and have room on the card. They tell me of loading of martinis in semi trailers by the boatload for sale overseas, thought that was sad for everyone. He sent me a left hand martini international stock, pristine, he said he went thru two hundred loose stocks to find that............I was most grateful, now resides on my heavy one.

Enough of me taking up space, I hope you find the rifle you wish for; and use it for many years to come...............
Old 04-01-2019, 10:21 PM
Supporting Member

I think if I was going to build a tack driving Hornet. I'd build it on a single shot Rem 700 SA with the cone nose bolt that Kiff sells in a Hornet bolt face. Select a premium barrel, jewell trigger and put it in what ever stock design you prefer. Should shoot pretty good.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:44 AM

You’ve just described the aforementioned ULA Hornet, one of which I recently bought, except its action is much more compact and made to much more precise tolerances. A Shilen SM barrel and a B&A trigger completed the package. Haven’t shot it but once, so far, with inconclusive results. I thought I may have paid too much for the barreled action at about $1500, but complete rifles are nearly $4k, and when the barreled action dropped right into (sort of) my ULA .22 lr stock, I knew I had made the right choice...and who else has one, right?

It could be the ultimate.22 Hornet...except it isn’t .
I will explain later.

TBR

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 04-02-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member

What is the diameter of the ULA bolt?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:19 PM
Supporting Member

Ken, I looked up the M70 in the Blue Book of Used Gun Values and according to it a 1946 - 1963 Win M70 22 Hornet in 80% condition would be valued at $1,625 in the USA.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 AM

I’ve now seen this rifle and it’s pretty beat up, so I’ve decided against buying at any price.
Thanks for all replies.
Regards,?Ken.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:40 PM

TBRat- I see the rifle at the range and empty cases in the ctg. block. Any 100yard targets?
Is it as accurate as an $800.00 CZ?