Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-22-2019, 09:44 PM

I agree that the difference is not that much. For a point of reference, years ago, I collected every 223/5.56 rifle I could get my hands on among from friends, ARs, bolt guns, TCs, and had barrel lengths ranging from 8 inches to 26 inches. I used the same 55gr FMJ ammo and ran them through my chronograph using 5 shots per rifle. Collected the data and did the linear regression. The result was 29fps difference per inch of barrel length. The other thing I remember markedly is that on very short barrels, the muzzle blast and shock was much greater.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 PM

Default Comparative Analysis of Barrel Length vs. Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I agree that the difference is not that much. For a point of reference, years ago, I collected every 223/5.56 rifle I could get my hands on among from friends, ARs, bolt guns, TCs, and had barrel lengths ranging from 8 inches to 26 inches. I used the same 55gr FMJ ammo and ran them through my chronograph using 5 shots per rifle. Collected the data and did the linear regression. The result was 29fps difference per inch of barrel length. The other thing I remember markedly is that on very short barrels, the muzzle blast and shock was much greater.
Before buying a particular caliber or rifle setup, I will do a search ("Google it") to see if someone has done an analysis on barrel length / velocity for a given caliber. It allows for some quick analysis on best "Effective Length". I like it when people do the leg work and I don't have to OCD. Charts are nice.

Unfortunately, you Varmint Guys cherish your rifles too much. It sure would be handy if a couple of .17 and .20 cal guys would start lopping off an inch of barrel at a time and record the velocity changes … in the name of Science.

Here's a great example:

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 05-22-2019 at 10:40 PM.