Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 AM

Default looking for some 20-250 dies

I'm tired of feeding problems with the BR case, so thought I might have a play with a shortened 20-250 case. I recon if I can push the shoulder back 0.25 that will give me came capacity as the BR case, but I want to be able to just shorten a standard die to form the case so I can use a standard 20-250 reamer and just short chamber it.

There is quite a bit of taper on the 22-250 case, so this may not work, as the die diameter 0.25 back from the case head may be too tight in the die for the casehead, but there may be enough clearance in the manufacturing tolerances for it to work. Guess I wont know until I shorten a die.

I've ordered a redding 22-250 body die to cut down to try pushing the shoulder back, but cant find any custom dies in 20-250 in stock anywhere and dont want to wait an unreasonably long time to order a set

So does anyone have a set of 20-250 dies they would be willing to sell to me?

NB, I'm in New Zealand

Cheers

Grant
Old 08-26-2014, 11:24 AM

Default P

Can't help you with the dies, but.......

I just measured the 250 case .25" in from the base. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would appear to measure approx .460-.461". The base measures .470"
The difference .010"+/-

I think if you run a 20/250 reamer in short you will have issues and may need to order a custom reamer and dies.
Why not just keep the original case and make life easier all round.
When I decided to go with the standard case, cost of the dies etc was an issue for me. Also I wanted ease of feeding through an AI mag, which the standard case has proven to be very good at.
Just my thoughts but it has proven to be a good choice for my needs.
Your May be different.
Will be interested to see your end results.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:06 PM

You'd probably be better off running your 20BR reamer in farther. Would make the bigger than brass rather than smaller. You could use your 20 br dies to size the top 1/2 of the case that way too.

Aaron
Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 PM

The idea is to try and match the br case capacity, as thats about the limit for the 20 cal before you start to loose your sight picture due to recoil. The 20-250 has another 5-6 grains of powder with just pushes it over the edge.

Otherwise I would go back to 204 Ruger, but want to do this on a Sako 85 now they have brought out a short action LEFT HAND! but they dont do one in 223 boltface.