Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 AM

Default 55 Berger in the wind~~~~~~~

Those of you that are shooting the 55 Berger.....

If you are using a ballistics program to determine wind hold off.......

Is the bullet lining up with what the program is saying or is it "outperforming" the predicted hold offs?

The reason I'm asking is i'm shooting the 55 Berger from a 20-250 at 3600fps. I shot this weekend both on Saturday and Sunday. Cloud cover, good crosswinds (for my range) both days. I was shooting from 300-600 yards, with a few pokes at 800.

My findings compared to my other guns I was playing with, was the 55 20 cal. bullet is not drifting as much as what the programs I'm using are saying.

The other guns lined up perfect with my G7 and iSnipe, the 20-250 did not.

Its a good thing, I guess, that the bullet is performing better than its supposed to, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one thats noticed this or have others seen the same thing. I tried throwing variables out as much as I could (me) but the other guns, using the same guesstimation on wind were right there.

I've also found this to be true with the 27 and 30 grain 17 bullets when pushed hard.

Do long, skinny, needle shaped bullet like these perform better in wind than they are "supposed" to? Or is it something with higher velocities while using them?

Thoughts? I think this could be a good discussion.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 AM

xswanted, Another for what it's worth...I've found the 55 Bergers in my .20 BR to have the same result you are finding with the .20-250 in cross-winds. I have been very surprised how well this bullet shoots at 500 yards in crosswinds up to 15-20mph. We have more quartering head winds or quartering tailwinds at my range than 90 degree cross winds so I can't say much about direct crosswinds. I do know my other .20 caliber cartridges are much worse in these crosswinds at 500 yards than the 55 Berger or the 55 gr Diamond tip rebated boat tail Blackhole bullets in the BR. Either bullet shoots really well at the 500 yard range. On my chronograph both bullets are averaging about 3650fps with RL-15. 410gauge
Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM

I can say that I have found that the drift hasn't been as much as I had anticipated at the longer ranges.
So, yes, it looks like they don't swing as much as the ballistics program would suggest.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 PM

That's encouraging data , and exactly WHY a guy has to go out and try things...

Question is, are you using a wind meter of some sort or guesstimating? It's been my experience that most folks can't pin down wind velocity estimates within 10% of actual...that may make a difference. Not too mention we all know how variable wind velocity and direction can be..

Not saying you don't know which way the wind blows.. you're in the Dakotas...you're used to it, but curious at how much a good wind meter might help you get your dope figured out, or if anyone has extensive use with a preferred model. It's on my to do list..
Old 08-19-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfisher View Post
That's encouraging data , and exactly WHY a guy has to go out and try things...

Question is, are you using a wind meter of some sort or guesstimating? It's been my experience that most folks can't pin down wind velocity estimates within 10% of actual...that may make a difference. Not too mention we all know how variable wind velocity and direction can be..

Not saying you don't know which way the wind blows.. you're in the Dakotas...you're used to it, but curious at how much a good wind meter might help you get your dope figured out, or if anyone has extensive use with a preferred model. It's on my to do list..

Yep I hear you.

I was using a wind meter all day both days we shot. I was also shooting a 22-250 Ackley as well as a 6.5 creedmore. Using the wind data gathered for my meter both of those guns were drifting what they were "supposed to" according to the rangefinder and ballistics program. The 20-250 using the same wind data was drifting less with the 55s in there so I felt like I got a pretty good sample of wind. I'm definitely not a great wind reader but with enough gadgets and guns I believe those bullets were drifting a little less than they showed on computer.

I know it was a lot of fun to be able to shoot that gun at 400 yards with not much adjustment for wind!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 AM
Supporting Member

I have not noticed anything but have missed in the field and just blamed my poor judgment! That being said to beat the wind would require more velocity or a higher BC. Both your elevation and windage would change together with either or both. Have you adjusted for spin drift? Of course your results would depend on the twist direction and wind direction, JMHO.
FYI- I run them at 3640 fps from a 8 1/2tw tube. Great terminal ballistic results to 400 yards but get crawlers when ranges extend. Longest with it so far is 525 yards on Chucks but ring Steel at 640 frequently.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:50 AM

I've not thought about spin drift. Maybe it effects the long skinny small caliber bullets more than it would say a 6mm or bigger bullet.

Out to 600 yards, I can't imagine theres a huge deal of spin drift, but maybe so!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Supporting Member

My S/W says 1/4 MOA for mine.