Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-18-2019, 07:35 PM

Default Anybody know how much trouble it is for a good smith to remove a CZ barrel?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I've read here that these factory barrels can be next to impossible to remove. It would be nice if I bought a new CZ 22Hornet donor rifle and the unfired barrel could be resold for me to recoup some of my cost. (guessing an unfired CZ 22Hornet factory barrel should be worth $90 ...?)

If I'm having a new custom barrel installed by a smith, then it has to be removed anyway. Can it be removed in mint condition for good resale, (as have my new Remington 700 barrels) is the question.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 PM
Supporting Member

Any smith worth his salt should be able to remove that barrel without buggering it up...…

Aaron
Old 09-18-2019, 08:43 PM

A good gunsmith can take them off, just as well as one put them on. Bill K
Old 09-18-2019, 09:04 PM

Why not just buy the action?
Old 09-18-2019, 10:37 PM

Thanks guys for your input. Perhaps the complaints I read on this forum about how stuck the CZ barrels normally are factory installed onto the receiver and needed to be cut off was commentary by shade tree smiths or home based enthusiasts who have attempted it themselves and they don't do it professionally for a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Why not just buy the action?
Because it's easier to buy a CZ 527 Hornet already made with a beautiful wood stock. Bedding and perhaps minimal inletting for a slightly larger barrel is the max stock modification and finishing I care to do. I am currently working on a Rem 700 221 Fireball, and the CZ Hornet is my next project which gives me time to casually shop for a nice CZ specimen. I'm very fussy about choosing a nice color & grain on my wood rifles, so am glad I have time to look around. Thanks.

Last edited by Centerfire; 09-19-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:04 AM

As I recall from posts from several years ago, it is helpful to carefully use some heat to remove/break-down the adhesive on the threads. Note that I have not done it, as both of my 527's shoot really well from the factory.