Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Supporting Member

If what you have done so far won't move it, send it the bolt to Savage and ask them to replace the Firing pin spring. Also ask them to only slightly tighten the rear cap. They will get it loose as they have the gear and the Gorillas to do it with.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Supporting Member

Oh I see you are concerned about the firing pin spring. I doubt if it's weak but maybe dirty. Have you tried soaking to clean then working in some dry lube?
Old 11-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Supporting Member

Put the bolt on the floor with the handle down against the floor. Put the allen wrench in the cap screw with the end of it pointing to about 10 or 11 o clock.
Now STOMP ON IT. Doesn't do JACK in the vice.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:42 AM

Inexpensive and saved my butt many times in the small engine world. No batteries required, no apps. needed, and old school as it gets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQOr57ttXyI
Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM

NOR Cal Mikie is correct. It may be a bit unnerving but will work. Expect a loud pop. It has worked for me several times. You can try standing on it the first time. Some give without a stomp.

Floyd
Old 11-21-2016, 12:20 PM

And use good quality Allen wrenches.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:31 AM
Supporting Member

Default Impact driver......

I purchased my first impact driver in 1970, same year I bought my first motorcycle, a Honda CL350. Discovered early on [told by the Honda mechanic] that I WOULD NEED an impact driver to remove the soft Philips head screws in my Honda motorcycle. He was correct!
Also, If you bugger up a Phillips head screw with a Phillips head screwdriver [hopefully the correct size], before you totally screw it up, hit it with a flat punch to force/forge 'some' metal back into a Phillips head shape. Then the impact driver hardened bit will reshape the partially malformed Phillips head inner surface as it seats the impact bit and removes the screw.... hopefully if you didn't malform it too badly with whatever screwdriver you started out with.
HINT: use the impact driver and correct hardened bits BEFORE you mess up the Phillips cross head with a standard Phillips head screwdriver.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 11-22-2016 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:02 AM

Lightbulb I would suggest.....

.....trying a hardened allen bit, in an impact tool or T-handle.

The classic right-angled allen wrench has a tendency to side-load it's intended victim..............remember all those wheel studs ya broke off with a "tire-tool" when you were a kid???......maybe a bit older??

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old 11-25-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNearTheBorder View Post
Inexpensive and saved my butt many times in the small engine world. No batteries required, no apps. needed, and old school as it gets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQOr57ttXyI
I feel like an idiot now..I've been around tools most my life. I never knew how those impact wrenchs worked till I just watched that video..my dad had one on his tool bench and I remember looking at it and thinking..who would use such a heavy screwdriver ..that dumb..lol..I know ..I'm a dork..haha
I bet that would break that retaining screw loose..I will pick one up and give it a shot..I will post results this weekend..
Thank you for all the input guys, I really appreciate everyone's effort in this little issue.
Also
I completely understand the difference between pulling with a wrench, and stomping on it ..I need to create that quick shock to ( break) it loose.
Happy Thanksgiving forum members
I'm so glad to be a member here, with all the knowledge and experience I think I can through just about any gun problem.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:11 PM

Find a flat punch that will fit down into the Allen socket. Get a good heavy hammer, then support the bolt, Allen head up in the padded vise. Put the punch down into the Allen Key recess and give it a few good heavy licks with the hammer for some good "shock value". Maybe you can try it multiple times, letting some Kroil or other penetrant wick into the joint before another lick or two Light tapping might help it suck into the parts. After letting it sit for a while with penetrant sucking into the joint, you could try the "stomp trick" laid out before.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.