Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-27-2023, 06:59 PM
Supporting Member

Default How old is too old reloaded ammo?

I know this is small bore site and I'm a small bore guy. Have a question though a I seem to read more wisdom posted on this site than many others. Maybe appears that way to me because more member my age Ha Ha

Question: I'm shooting a 300 RUM I had built, custom and by custom the smith built everything on the rifle except for the Lilja barrel. Action, trigger, magazines, scope bases etc. I also had a custom Leupold scope with reticle designed for specific ammo I developed. Built rifle in 2006 and loaded several identical round boxes of ammo. On a recent hunt someone saw the date I loaded the ammo and said anything past 10 years is unsafe due to excessive pressure. I've been shooting reloaded ammo since early 1960's and never had an issue. I'm thinking there may be a point that I loaded to achieve specific consistent performance and with aging that may no longer be the case. Curious your thoughts.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:08 PM

I have shot some 30-06 ammo that was loaded and has sat around for 20 odd years and saw no difference.
The only think you might do, in case the bullet has sorted of set/welded to the case, is just run it into a seating die and just touch it enough to see if there is resistance, then just seat it enough to break that hold.
Then try one and see how it works and you might as well shoot it at a target to see if the rifle/load still hit where you had it zeroed.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:14 PM

Unless you've left the reloads sitting on the truck's dashboard for the last 17 years straight in the Arizona sun, I don't think I'd worry about it. I tend to think of reloads like powder, store it properly and then use accordingly.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:03 PM

Tell the guy who bought an AR 3 months ago and is an expert on everything already that perhaps he should know of what he speaks before passing BS on.

Keep it dry and cool. It will last a stupidly long time. Still shooting a lot of war surplus from the 1950s and it does just fine.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:46 PM
Supporting Member

Default Question

Thanks for the input. I figured as much. I've stored always in a climate controlled environment. I'm still shooting powder I bought in 1960's for $3.95 a lb with no issues. I did pull a couple and seemed to come loose with no issues. I might shoot a couple just to see if same speed. Don't want to waste them because can't buy replacement bullets today. I really only want to shoot them at game. I'm heading to Africa next summer with my son and would hate to have any issues.

I did shoot a nice muley on a recent hunt, 465 yds one shot did the job with shot within 2" of aim point. That was the hunt the gentleman was surprised I made the shot with old ammo.

Last edited by FastPPC; 11-27-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastPPC View Post
Thanks for the input. I figured as much. I've stored always in a climate controlled environment. I'm still shooting powder I bought in 1960's for $3.95 a lb with no issues. I did pull a couple and seemed to come loose with no issues. I might shoot a couple just to see if same speed. Don't want to waste them because can't buy replacement bullets today. I really only want to shoot them at game. I'm heading to Africa next summer with my son and would hate to have any issues.

I did shoot a nice muley on a recent hunt, 465 yds one shot did the job with shot within 2" of aim point. That was the hunt the gentleman was surprised I made the shot with old ammo.
you might check with your Outfitter/PH on the reloaded ammo. I know, in years past they did not want any reloads, just good old factory stuff on hand.

Last edited by Bill K; 11-28-2023 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:32 AM

Default Reloads

Iíve been in a few hunting camps, USA, Africa and Canada. Never heard of one that disallowed reloaded ammo. Not saying they donít exist.
My ammo is reloaded to maximize my firearm. If an outfitter didnít allow that, Iíd find another outfitter.
And I agree with the posters above that say these old reloads should be fine if theyíve been stored properly.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
Iíve been in a few hunting camps, USA, Africa and Canada. Never heard of one that disallowed reloaded ammo. Not saying they donít exist.
My ammo is reloaded to maximize my firearm. If an outfitter didnít allow that, Iíd find another outfitter.
And I agree with the posters above that say these old reloads should be fine if theyíve been stored properly.

I realize times and outfitters and ideas also, that is why I said "In years Past"
I am going back 40 yrs in my comment.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:40 AM
Supporting Member

Good point Bill, Never thought about PH but I did have concerns with Customs. I have all my ammo in factory boxes and they would never have a clue not factory ammo. Good thing to keep in mind.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:59 AM

Cold weld can happen in ammo im sure thats what those guys were referring to too.
Personally all my LR hunting ammo gets pulled apart whats leftover and reloadef before I hunt on shoot the next year. I tune my LR Stuff with nk tension and I know the longer it sits it can effect the accuracy. What I do is long seat them and final seat right before I shoot or hunt.
My sage rat stuff i try to not go more thatv2 years out
I'it is why hear people say they use dry graphit to use as a lube to prevent it but I use the carbon in the necks as my lube its why I dont tumble my brass, since I started just brushing the inside of my necks before seating I can feel a difference in seating consistency.
That being said I dont know id it makes much of a difference for most sage rat shooting but it definitely does at 600 and beyond.