Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-28-2023, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Sherm View Post
Cold weld can happen in ammo im sure thats what those guys were referring to too.
Personally all my LR hunting ammo gets pulled apart whats leftover and reloadef before I hunt on shoot the next year. I tune my LR Stuff with nk tension and I know the longer it sits it can effect the accuracy. What I do is long seat them and final seat right before I shoot or hunt.
My sage rat stuff i try to not go more thatv2 years out
I'it is why hear people say they use dry graphit to use as a lube to prevent it but I use the carbon in the necks as my lube its why I dont tumble my brass, since I started just brushing the inside of my necks before seating I can feel a difference in seating consistency.
That being said I dont know id it makes much of a difference for most sage rat shooting but it definitely does at 600 and beyond.
What about the Neolube ( Accurate Shooter mentions it in the Monday sales report) shown on sale ? Anyone have first hand information ?
Old 11-28-2023, 11:31 AM

I've never tried it Bill. The only time I use anything is on brand new brass.
When I mentioned "feel" in seating its with my inline 21 century seater a regular press you won't feel the difference.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Sherm View Post
I've never tried it Bill. The only time I use anything is on brand new brass.
When I mentioned "feel" in seating its with my inline 21 century seater a regular press you won't feel the difference.
Reason I asked Sherm is I just cob tumble my brass and like you have what carbon/residue in the neck as any lube on seating a bullet. Has always worked.
But when I do see a product like that talked about, and that comp shooters use it, makes me wonder, should I try it.
But the way I do it has worked for many years, so why change ? You Know
Old 11-28-2023, 01:47 PM

I hear ya Bill, seems I'm always screwing with something LOL
Old 11-28-2023, 05:54 PM

I've found that after tumbling my brass and seating bullets, the minute residual amount of dry neck lube (graphite powder) left in the case neck from neck sizing makes seating very smooth and consistent.

Even after long periods of storage of my varmint ammo, there has never been any 'weld' of bullet/case experienced.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:30 PM

Over on accuratereloading, there are some threads about using ammo and reloading with pull-down powder from world war one. It all worked fine. The only issue was the primers from back then usually had mercury in them, which would cause cracks in brass once fired and left to sit.

If the ammo in question has been stored in reasonable conditions, it should be fine. I routinely shoot ammo that was loaded years ago with surplus powders much older.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:57 AM

I came across some really old 264 WM ammo and I bumped the bullet back .020" before firing them. It was obvious during the bumping process that some corrosion welding had occurred over the decades. The old ammo still shot well enough for practice.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Johnly:

Hell man .264 can't be "Really old", it wasn't invented until about 1960.

The only time I ever had a problem with OLD ammo. An uncle gave me some either '03, or '06 shells left from WWI with 240gr RN solids, silver coated steel he had kept in an unheated garage in a coffee can since 1934. I got them in 1960. He said they were OLD when he got them, he never had an '06 so they never got shot up.

Most of us can recall how ammo and teenaged boys figure things. "try it, if it shoots it was good"

There were around 40 loose shells in all. I shot mostly shale rocks with them. Amazing how well they'd bust 'em up.

THEN: one just Hissed at me out the vent hole! Gunsmith used an electric hammer on it for hours and never budged it. Didn't want to call and tell this kid his gun was ruined with a stuck bullet in the bore. He went in for lunch to think some more.

After lunch he decided to give it another good try as it had been sitting two hours with solvent above it. Hell of a deal, it seemed like it moved a bit. Marked the rod and ran it again, 'sure thing it's moving' so kept hammering til it popped out.

He advised me to pull the rest down and reload with fresh primers & powder. I did, no further problems. Nor have I ever been able to find such bullets again either.

Since then I have figured if I ever have any doubts about loads of any kind. I just pull them down and refresh. Then I am sure. I have been reloading since I was 14 in 1958. That and blowing the NEF .17 VR up with one more .1gr is the only two drastic problems I have ever had with ammo.

Some of the things I have done with guns, ammo, cars, dozers, dynamite, acetylene and several other things. It's a real wonder I am still here and have most of my fingers left too. Some have been trimmed a bit in table saws. You should have seen some of the holes I've made in the ground, rocks and trees ----!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 11-30-2023 at 12:29 AM. Reason: more bs
Old 12-01-2023, 02:30 PM

Closely inspect the necks after firing, small cracks, fractures will be your indicators. I would anneal case necks before sizing. I have had issues with 15+ year old 17 rem reloads, necks cracked when fired. The cases had more than one firing before the long term storage, in plastic ammo boxes. Cases were not cleaned(carbon in necks) all were loaded with Rem brass,Win 760, Hornady 25 hp. After I noticed(2 of 5) I stopped shooting them. Couldn't pull with a kinetic puller, had to seat 0.005 deeper, to pull apart. Carefully annealed and reloaded a few, all shot without cracking. So I seated, pulled the remaining to save the brass. All made a VERY distinct crack when seating deeper, no necks damaged while reseating I inspected with a loop after pulling bullets.
Old 12-05-2023, 04:02 PM

In 1984-85 I built a 338-06 Ackley in college. As part of that project I had to also make 100 rounds of ammunition for it.

Last year I was down to to the last 7 or 8 rounds of ammo from that project.

Brass was GI 30-06 match bullet is a Sierra 250 grain SP.

I took a nice white tail with this near 40 year old reloaded ammo.