Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 06-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Supporting Member

Default Cz 527 25-20

Considering a 25-20 on a CZ. This shouldn’t be much different than my 218bee/527 build should it?

Any help is appreciated
Old 06-18-2019, 09:48 PM

I have thought that a 25-20 would be good in a bolt action. My 25-20 is a heavy barrel G2 Contender. A friend had a Kimber of Oregon in 25-20, too rich for my budget. I have some 527s, hadn't thought of converting one. What 527 was the basis for the Bee conversion? Was it difficult and or expensive? I will be following this thread!
Bill
Old 06-19-2019, 01:18 AM
Supporting Member

Had similar thoughts Gary but I was thinking of the 256 win mag

Johno
Old 06-19-2019, 01:42 AM
Supporting Member

Gary, not a big deal if you have a good gunsmith. Eddie opened up Hornet actions for my 218 and 25-20. And no it doesn't feed from the magazine.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:32 AM
Supporting Member

Well it looks like I better start looking for a donor 527... or at least a barrel and make the killer bee a switch barrel.

I opened up my own bolt face but don’t have access to the equipment any longer.

I was also thinking about having Bullberry make me a barrel to maybe ease the ‘wants’ a little bit..

Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 03:51 AM
Supporting Member

Just another thought Gary and one that would probably feed from the magazine, its been discussed before but what about a 25 cal on a 221 fireball case, I know the lack of lightweight bullets is a pain but as your going to be using 25-20 style bullets 60 grn or similar it might work well

Johno
Old 06-19-2019, 08:44 PM
Supporting Member

That’s a great idea and is sort of on my next to do...

Unfortunately I don’t do things that makes sense or are very smart or appealing to others. It’s something burning inside me that I like to do. Very seldom is it driven from a need. I have most of my needs filled.

But I really like the 2520 there’s something about it that’s driving me to make one for the case.

Little more than likely be a contender but I may do a CZ yet I’m not sure. I would preferred to have a 2520 and a lever action to kind of go with a collection of 32-20 and a 218 Bee. I don’t think I have the patience to wait for the right one to come along Lol

Back to a 25 on the 221 fireball case. My plan there is to make a 25 on a 30-30 case... S 25 classic
Old 06-19-2019, 11:04 PM

OR... you could just buy the 1917 Savage Sporter in 25-20 that I have, in pretty amazing condition honestly. I also have a few boxes of the original ammo. The wood looks almost like a dark cherry and has some nice grain on the one side. I picked this up back in high school, used it on ground-hogs for a while (had a fella reload the original 86gr cases with 60's for slightly flatter shooting), then just retired it when I bought a '79 Rem 700 BDL in 222... which also hasn't seen a lot of action lately since I picked up a CZ 22hornet and 17hmr and other centerfires after that then as well.

I was thinking of getting rid of my 30-06 to make room for a 17 Rem for this coming fur season (sure wish I would have gotten a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Rem while they still made them), and another one on the list is 6BR.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:28 PM

I reckon there are those of us that run off the beaten path a little, gotta answer the calling you know......... .........shot my 22lr No.1(the little one) today, had that feeling of satisfaction all thru the session, off the path, tis good.

I thought about a CZ 527 7.62x39 bolt, but a little big perhaps in the face. No experience there, other than the fleeting thought. Probably is a lot easier to open up a hornet face and shorten the extractor nose, one would think anyway. Magazine function for such an update is a black hole for me.

guess one could ponder a switch barrel on the 218 or 32/20 lever gun.....maybe. I have seen some old 25/20 vintage lever guns, but most seem to have a concept of their whole life's 401K there.

People have 17 hornets on pre64's 70's, so perhaps not out of the type of reason is your 25/20 dream.

The little 25 cal bullets are hard to find like others have said. If you can shoot lead, then perhaps a moot point.

Folks have talked about stubbing a contender barrel a time or two here, makes the donor barrel less picky to find, just have to stay off the stretched, beat, items you see for sale at times.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:02 AM
Supporting Member

Would be nice to see a photo of that Savage and the ammo.

I did a search here and there was an old thread about a rimless 256 win mag, I guess you could you could shorten the 221 f.b. case a bit to allow the CZ magazine to handle the longer 25 cal bullets.

Really wish I had'nt opened this topic

Johno