Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-09-2020, 03:25 PM

Default Twist in 17 rem

What twist is needed in a a 17 Rem when using 25 grain V max?
Old 01-09-2020, 03:36 PM

I have a Shilen select 1/10 twist in 17 rem, just shoots ok with the 25 vmax. My Lilja 1/9 shoots them and heavier bullets extremely well. I think the 10 twist will be a barrel to barrel situation with the longer bullets, the 9 twist will be your surest bet.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:44 PM

Go with the 1/9 twist.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:01 PM

I have the same experience as coyotespotter. My 17 Rem is a 1:10 Shilen, and it shoots okay (around 3/4" at 100yds with 25gr Vmax, but 25gr HP shoot much better, more like 1/2". I will replace it with a 1:9 when the time comes.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:21 PM

Default 17 twist

Thanks guys.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:40 AM

The 25gr Vmax is a relatively long bullet, the 10 inch twist doesn't do very well with it. If you are building a new 17 Rem, be sure and get the 9 inch twist, it will do much better with the 25 Vmax, and it will do great with 30gr Bergers too!
Steve
Old 01-11-2020, 07:03 PM

While the odd 10" twist barrel will stabilize 25gr. Vmaxs shot from a .,17Rem, most will not. A 9" twist is usually recommended for them - in any ctg.
both my CZ .17(now)AH bl. and Pac-Nor .17Rem. bls. have 9" twists and stabilize the 25gr. Vmax's very nicely.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:58 PM
Supporting Member

The normally slow to react Remington saw the need for a faster twist barrel after introducing the 700 BDL rifle chambered in 17 Remington in the early 1970's. The first rifles came with 10" twist barrels.

Within about two years, all new BDL rifles came equipped with 9" twist barrels. They offer definite advantages.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-19-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:56 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
What twist is needed in a a 17 Rem when using 25 grain V max?
If you shoot at an altitude of 6000' or higher you might get away with a 10" twist.

As I recall, Montdoug lives at about 8000' and his 10" twisted barrels shoot the longer bullets such as the 25 grain VMAX pretty good.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by RareBear; 02-20-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

There is no doubt that geography and other conditions can and do play a role in what works and what doesn't in terms of barrel twist rates with specific bullets.

In today's world where people are highly mobile, going with the safe option is always better for me personally. For example, I live and shoot at maybe 100 feet above sea level along the Texas Gulf Coast and I also have land SW of there where the elevation approaches 1K feet in elevation in places. I shoot PD's in the Texas Panhandle where the altitude is at least a thousand feet higher and I also shoot them at altitudes in excess of 4k feet elevation on up to much higher elevations in Montana and Wyoming. In all those locations, a 9" twist 17 caliber barrel fills the needs.

As an example, I just got home recently from a 6 day coyote hunt up north where the altitude was in the 4K+ range most of the time. Not only that but it was cold and blustery most of the time, but that isn't a major factor for barrel twist rates even though it can have some effect. But it does tell me why I want to get back to warmer climates relatively soon at my age.

My wife is tolerant of my "needs", but I'm betting that I'd have a tough time convincing here that I need specific rifles for all of the altitudes that I play at with 17 caliber rifles when a 9" twist 17 caliber barrel will handle them all.

Maybe I'll give it a try and report back......... I'm always up for a reason to buy or have a new rifle built. Naw... She's smarter than that and would start asking uncomfortable questions. I'd just lose my street cred with her. Street cred is important with your wife........ Besides she buys shoes when I buy rifles and she has enough pairs of shoes, sandals, and boots to last forever in terms of our ages. I'm not sure if they all fit her feel well, but I'm assuming that they do.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-20-2020 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Cleaning up typing and grammar errors...........