Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Supporting Member

Default Remember this little guy? (Off Topic)

Well, time goes by and he's now well trained, weighs about 67 LBS. I'd also hate to be the guy that messed with the MRS or our little Cairn Terrier he's inseparable Pals with. He knows they are under his protectorate and he'd die before anyone would bother them, aside from being the caretaker around here he's a real nice dog, absolutely loves little kids and small dogs. Typical Airedale.
Here' is a pic from today.

Last edited by montdoug; 12-20-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Good looking dog,Doug....

I admire his loyalty too.
His pappy must be a heck of a great guy
Matt
Old 12-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Supporting Member

Doug you're feeding Duke pretty good. I'm surprised all the dark hair on his face went away. I had forgot just how cute he was as a puppy.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:21 PM

They are a good breed of dog. Were they not breed to chase bear or bulls or something large, like that ? A friend had two and they were very good dogs with family and kids. And you are right no one would want to have bothered them in a wrong manner. Bill K
Old 12-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Supporting Member

Does the boy in this picture look familiar?

That photo was taken of John Wayne with his Airedale "Big Duke". They were together so much that people took to calling John Wayne "Little Duke" and his nick-name became "Duke" for life.
That's why I named my dog Duke. I liked John Wayne a lot and if Duke was a good enough name for him it's a compliment naming my dog that.
Bill as to the breed. The Airedale is the largest of the Terriers and is in fact called "The King of Terriers". They were originally bred to go down holes and fight Badgers, Otters and what-not. Here in the States the folks took to running them with packs of hounds chasing lions, bears and large vermin. The hounds would bay so the hunters could follow em and when the dogs closed in the Airedales would move in and fight the Quarry, (Not my dog )! Still legal to hunt bears with dogs in Idaho or at least it was last I heard but in Montana the only things you can chase with dogs is cats, (again, not my dog).
Back when that picture of John Wayne was taken the Airedale was considered by the AKC to be the most popular dog in the US of A.
I've also read the Airedale was used in the World wars to deliver messages in the trenches in WW I and as a guard/attack dog in both wars. They come out of the UK as a breed and they an old breed. Like all dogs they were bred for a purpose and the people who like the breed are usually a bit biased .
After I got outta the Corps I use to backpack around the wilderness areas in Wyoming and Montana, this is my back country buddy. He carried his chow and I carried mine. The two things that look like rods running up the right side a my pack was a single shot .22 magnum survival rifle, killed a lotta grouse and hares with that. Me and Airedales go a long way back.

To much outta me, I'm real keen on Airedales as you might can tell. One last thing is a quote on Airedales from Teddy Roosevelt.

Theodore Roosevelt said,
“An Airedale can do anything any other dog can do and then lick the other dog, if he has to.”
That's a quote so he obviously had an Airedale and was hooked like me, but anybody that has a dog even if it's a mixed breed feels the same way about their dog. Dogs is family! Truth be told, I like all dogs, we got two Cairn Terriers too.

Last edited by montdoug; 12-20-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:45 PM

Good thread, Doug. Well done.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Good stuff Doug.

How's the elk hunt in the new truck going?
Been out after 'em yet?

How much of that last white stuff did you get?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Supporting Member

so cool Doug
Old 12-06-2019, 09:06 PM

Family friends had an Airedale that stayed with the kids when playing outside. In the summer the kids would play late into the night, they lived in a rough neighborhood. My Mom asked about the safety of the kids especially the girls. The Father replied that Sandy was better than an armed guard, better pity anyone that tries to harm one of the kids!
Bill
Old 12-11-2019, 01:17 AM
Supporting Member

In the early '80s GF dragged me up to Stanley Park in Vancouver. Went into this big meadow and some Airedale club was having a meeting. Hundreds of dogs just lying looking at each other. Not a bark or a growl.

The dogs were the best part of the trip.