Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-17-2020, 02:35 PM

I use a Redding. Real handy with H4831, 4350, ect.
The plastic Lyman and RCBS I had to chase around on the loading table, not so with the Redding.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Supporting Member

Hmmmmmmm.... My RCBS trickler has a metal container and turning rod with a weighted plastic resin bottom. I've never had big problems with it sliding around. Same same with the Redding as far as sliding around goes

The best trickler that I ever had was an old Ohaus trickler that I gave to one of my sons. I'm not sure if you can still buy them, but a quick check might be in order before you buy. IIRC, it weighed just slightly less than a pound (13-14 oz) and it was rock slid with a wide base.
-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-17-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:08 PM

Same response as BCB. I've not had any issues with the RCBS sliding around. Works great.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:35 PM
Supporting Member

The RCBS trickler that I own is the one shown in this link. Maybe RCBS made a plastic one at some point in time, and if they did, this is not it. And the one that I own is not the same one that Dean2 shows in his post.

https://defensegears.com/best-powder-trickler-reviews/

Notice the comment about stability in the words written that describe it.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-17-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 PM
Supporting Member

Am I the only one who uses their fingers to trickle in powder. I find it much faster. I have the RCBS and the Dandy (bought when it cost a lot less) but still use my fingers for extruded powder. Ball powder my Harrells throw close enough I don't need to trickle.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:41 PM
Supporting Member

I've never tried my fingers for a trickler, but a Harrell's does indeed limit the need for a trickler, especially for larger volume cases for me.

For small caliber small cases (17 and 20) I still like to throw a short charge with the Harrell's and trickle to the final weight. That's just me being anal, but many folks use a Harrell's to throw exact charges for any cartridge, which it is indeed capable of doing.

-BCB

Old 02-17-2020, 11:47 PM

As another comment, I load almost everything (38Spl to 45-70) with a Dillon 550B and use the Dillon measures. Have three sizes of powder bars, and once you set them up for your load, they are very stable and consistent also, although I don't often use long or thick stick powders. I rarely use a single stage press, and mostly when doing small numbers of load development rounds on rifle cartridges.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR View Post
I'm thinking about giving a powder trickler a try and was wondering if there is one that is better than the others?
Treaded tube tricklers are simple devices. You really can't go wrong. Just pick one made of metal & get to loading!
Old 02-18-2020, 02:10 AM

I use the aluminum RCBS trickler, it's hollow base is filled with cast bullet lead. A sheet metal screw keeps the two together. It sits on a 3/4 inch ply wood stand that gives the beam scale's pan a bit more clearance. I also do quite a bit of my reloading on a Dillon 550. Almost all of my big game rifles use the various IMR stick powders (a hazard of learning reloading in the 70's) and I don't like the Dillon powder measures with them. So I use the Dillon series 500 powder die and the plastic funnel and weigh these rifles charges. I'm not loading these in volume and at least I trust things this way.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:03 PM

I have a trickler, like the Redding, but I prefer to use a .270 or .30/06 case with spent primer inserted. Rolling the case between finger and thumb dribbles out powder very nicely.